PDA

View Full Version : Contrasting Aikido and Hapkido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sojourner
01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Before joining Aikido I trained at the lower levels of Hapkido, I enjoyed a lot of the material, but what I learnt was that Hapkido is often taught as an extension of Taekwondo in Australia, I am not sure if that is the case overseas or not, in any event whilst I respect Taekwondo, it just is not for me and I moved on and tried some other training ending up with Aikido which is what I feel is right for me. Reflecting on my time in Hapkido however, I am seeing a number of parallels between Hapkido and Aikido and would like to bring that up for discussion here.

If we strip the Taekwondo content out of Hapkido we are left with something that could looks something like Aikido and potentially Jujitsu, although this is pure speculation on my part.

The Breakfalls that are taught to me in Aikido are all exactly the same as in Hapkido, the lower grades of Hapkido require blocks of five different Hapkido Forms which resemble Aikido Forms, a Kata Pattern and other Taekwondo content. Its these Hapkido forms that I am interested to see if anyone else has viewed and has an opinion on?

Dave de Vos
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
If we strip the Taekwondo content out of Hapkido we are left with something that could looks something like Aikido and potentially Jujitsu, although this is pure speculation on my part.

The founder of hapkido and the founder of aikido were both Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu students of Sokaku Takeda, so perhaps it's not that surprising that hapkido and aikido have a lot in common.

Rupert Atkinson
01-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Do a search - there are lots of old threads on this.