PDA

View Full Version : Too enthousiastic about starting out with Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

31n13
08-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone

I just discovered this site and was swept away instantly.
I was looking for a martial art for self-defense, but I apparently found something much more, I started reading on this site and couldn't stop I almost read it from front to back.
I'm overwhelmed by the philosophy of Aikido in evolving your personality and all the other positive aspects actually.
Only I don't want to be dissapointed, ofcourse this could only be a sensei-related problem, or not... you never know.
I'm really looking forward to the teachings and the martial art & self-defense have been put behind the spiritual aspect of Aikido, so much so that I wouldn't consider another martial art.
Only I fear that there's a slight chance I'm being a little naive, is it really like how it's portrayed on this site? and if it is, how come the whole world hasn't embraced it ;)
also I'd like to know how many months you have to practice aikido before you can use it to defend yourself in some way, if necessary, I only ask this because I've seen a lot of doubt about the value in real life, although the replies are also satisfactory, this question came up.
Allthough I'd still start Aikido for sure, as mentioned before because of the spiritual side.
I'm not religious, but these teachings woke something up in me.
Sorry about the lenght of this message but I just had to know ;)

A soon to be Aikido Student!

guest1234
08-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Welcome! It's difficult to tell how long it will take for you to use Aikido for self defense... depends on what you mean by that, your sensei, your practice, etc...

Hey, why not let us know how it's going after you've started... ;)

DaveO
08-09-2002, 01:05 AM
Welcome, 31!

Like CA said, let us know how it goes; the best...the only way to have your questions answered is by doing it yourself. Try it for a while, then tell us the answers. :)

Dave

Olivier Uyttenh
08-09-2002, 02:26 AM
hi 31,

welcome to the wonderfull world of aikido, I hope you will enjoy training...

I'm also from Belgium (I think there are few of us here on this site), what dojo are you going to?

Olivier

JJF
08-09-2002, 03:55 AM
Hi Ringo!

As you mention yourself all aspects of Aikido depends on the instructor that teaches you. That is why you should be very careful about where to start training. If possible go to a number of dojo's and observe the practice, talk to the students, talk to the sensei and perhaps join in the fun for a couple of sessions each place before you make your choise.

With regards to the philsophical aspects don't expect that to be the main part of you Aikido experience in the beginning. When you start you will have plenty to do just making your feet and hands go where they are supposed to. If you involve yourself in your practice and keep and open mind one day those other aspects will start to become evident to you. Only problem is that you will have a hard time pursuing the mental development with some thing like 'inner peace' or 'oneness' as a fixed target. Progress is best measured in hinsight, so just practice and enjoy doing that.

Your ability to defend yourself will depend much more on you than on what martial art you choose. If trained with the right mindset Aikido can be very effective, however don't expect to use the techniques exactly the way they are thaugt in the dojo. What would really help you in a fight would be your awareness, your understanding of yourself and determination. If you practice enough and are mentally prepared you body will hopefully be likely to do something in the event of an attack.

I realised this as late as last weekend where I were at a party. Some guys had gone outside on the street to get a breath of fresh air and then WHAM out of the blue one of them were knocked down by a total stranger. Now this guy who took a punch was a black belt in karate (sorry! don't know the style or what level of black belt it was) but he didn't see it comming because he was absent in his mind, a little drunk and not aware of his surroundings. Mind you! I'm not saying you should become paranoid and expect an attack at all times but on the other hand one should never rely completely on ones training and expect it to get you out of any possible situation.

My I've been rambling again. Back to work .... Hope you can use some of this, and remember to have lot's of fun in the hopefully many years of training ahead of you.

Genex
08-09-2002, 04:02 AM
Hail stout yoeman and welcome n stuff

erm yeah Aikido is very kewl, and brilliant for self defence there are alsorts of things you will be able to learn, although i would say have patience and wonder too much how your aikido will defend you in a fight, i think you'll find that if you train regularly things will just make sense to you, so if you ever do get into a fight you will use instinct instread of thinking about the moves

your sensei will probebly show you how to disarm someone with a broken bottle or knife (Tanto) even staffs (Jo) and swords (Bokken) the latter would be useful with that spate of ppl going round hacking others up with samurai swords imagine the look on his face when he's on the ground with the blade against his throat!

anyhoo i think you'll enjoy aikido its mega fun

pete

erikmenzel
08-09-2002, 04:22 AM
Only I fear that there's a slight chance I'm being a little naive, is it really like how it's portrayed on this site? and if it is, how come the whole world hasn't embraced it ;)
Yes it is really how it is portrayed on this site. One problem might be that due to you being utterly new you miss out on the different views, opinions and problems that do exist with in aikido as well.

If you start training you will discover that there is a huge varity of reasons and ways in which people do aikido. Some are walking talking aikido addicts who cant do without it for 30 seconds and who see it as a way of life as where others see it as recreation for one or two hours a week.

also I'd like to know how many months you have to practice aikido before you can use it to defend yourself in some way, if necessary, I only ask this because I've seen a lot of doubt about the value in real life, although the replies are also satisfactory, this question came up.
Well if needed you use what you got anyway.

Allthough I'd still start Aikido for sure, as mentioned before because of the spiritual side.

A soon to be Aikido Student!
Great, go train, have fun.

BTW. I noticed you where from Belgium. If you have the opportunity to get to a lesson or seminar with maitre Dedobbeleer then please do so. He is a very nice man in his seventies who teaches in the most friendly manner I have ever encoutered. His seminars are a joy.

Cyrijl
08-09-2002, 09:07 AM
I just started taking aikido and one of the sensei at my dojo told me that if i was looking for self-defense there are quicker ways to achieve this end. You are not going to take aikido for a year and pummel thugs. The process takes alot longer then that...some dojo's don't even consider the true martial aspects of the art either explicitly or implicitly.

31n13
08-09-2002, 09:47 AM
thanx for the replies

I think I have all the information I need and am ready to start,

to reply on the post of Cyrijl, as I'm not looking for a self-defense course this won't be a problem :) I'm looking forward to taking up aikido and embracing it as it is.

btw, 'doe maar gewoon den doe jou gek genoeg', could you explain this? this doesn't seem correct dutch to me?

I'll keep you posted how my first evaluation was and further developments

going to subscribe now ;)

bye!

Deb Fisher
08-09-2002, 11:58 AM
I would only add that you might want to keep your cup as empty as possible - don't let your expectations color or obscure what actually happens in your dojo.

And yeah, it's so fun that people like me, who used to be productive members of society, waste the better part of the day rehashing training on a discussion forum.

Cyrijl
08-09-2002, 12:13 PM
Doe maar gewoon den doe jou gek genoeg....

my spelling might be off...but i don't think so...it is an old fashioned dutch (maybe nederlands not belgian) saying which means act normal that's strange enough...live life but as you normally do then you are doing already enough....

deb basically said more clearly what i wanted to...it's ok to have expectations...but don't let those expectations completely taint the reality you're in for

31n13
08-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Ah Cyrijl,

let me correct that, actually dutch spelling of the netherlands is pretty much the same as belgian dutch, we just some words differently, and people of the netherlands talk funny ;p,

what you mean is: 'Doe maar gewoon dan doe je gek genoeg'

'jou' being the possessive(?) form (I don't know if this is the correct explanation in english ;p but hey I'm here to correct dutch ;p, I hope you understand what I'm saying) of 'je'

& 'den' just has to be 'dan'

thanx once more for your replies, I'll try not to expect too much and think about how it'll be, I'll just enter the dojo and see what happens ;)

31n13
08-09-2002, 01:53 PM
oopz, itz not the possessive form, thatz 'jouw',

'jou' is another form of 'je'

I don't know how to explain it further, I'd have to call an old english teacher (english-dutch teacher ofcourse, if i could just get the phone number of that blonde lady teacher who always had short skirts on :p), but anyway who cares :p this is an aikido forum, atleast you know how it is spelled correctly ;)

and you gave me the vision of my old english teacher ;p

thanx ;p

Kevin Leavitt
08-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Have nothing to add other than welcome. And ditto on the thing everyone else said above.

Don't expect too much too soon. Enjoy the path to discovery. It is a life long journey.

I can remember back when I was a little boy how I could not wait till I was all grown up.

Now I am there and wish I'd spent more time enjoying the ride instead of lamenting on all the things I could not do because of my age/ability.

Don't expect many dojo lectures...you must experience aikido everyday of your life.

Enjoy the ride.

Kevin Leavitt
08-09-2002, 03:53 PM
Oh on another note....

I have studied karate for about 10 years now. Aikido for about 5 years.

Went to my dojo to and sparred some the other day....well it was very interesting to see how much a better martial artist I am today because of my understanding of center, balance, and posture.

Instead of punching, kicking, and clashing...I am now able to toss my karate sparring partner around off balance and totally give him the run around...all without having to throw a punch or hit him.

So, the payoff is there (I consider 5 years a short time realitively speaking).

I figure it takes about 5 years in any martial art to get effective in it. Another 5 years to get profcient. and about 20 years to master it, but not having been there I cannot say for sure. That is living, eating, breathing budo though...not a few hours a week.

erikmenzel
08-09-2002, 05:02 PM
oopz, itz not the possessive form, thatz 'jouw',

'jou' is another form of 'je'

I don't know how to explain it further
Well to be complete:

je, jij, jou are all three personal pronouns. Be aware je can also be a possesive pronoun.

jij: can only be used as subject of a sentence, jij slaapt (you are sleeping)

je: can be used as subject, je slaapt (you are sleeping)

je / jou: can be used as object, ik sla je/jou ( I am hitting you), ik geef je/jou een boek (I am giving you a book).

je/jou : can be used following a preposition, aan je/jou (to you)

Correct sentence would thus be:

Doe maar gewoon dan doe je/jij al gek genoeg.

(Just act normal for then you will be acting crazy enough)

as je/jij is the subject.

31n13
08-09-2002, 05:07 PM
thanks for that comment

kewl that you can handle yourself against a karateka with your aikido

with each post I just can't wait to get to that dojo :)

btw I saw Enter the dragon just now, I must say that Bruce kicks ass, allthough I like Jet Li & Steven Seagal better now =p, but I think that's mostly because of the evolved filming methods,

chill if you read this I stress the evolved filming methods ;p didn't mean to diss master bruce :)

31n13
08-09-2002, 05:08 PM
lol thank you Erik for clearing that up, I'm going to sleep much better now :p !