PDA

View Full Version : How to become an Uchi-deshi

Please visit our sponsor:

wanderingwriath
07-25-2002, 11:51 PM
First I'd like to say hello to everyone. Second, I'm a newbie in here and I fear I may have already stepped on toes somewhere. I apologize ahead of time.

My question really concerns something I'm sure all Aikidoka would romanticize about at least to some extent. How would one go about becoming an uchi-deshi at say the hombu dojo? Failing that one of Ueshiba's own uchi-deshi's dojo's? Failing that (incredibly long winded: sorry :rolleyes: ) one of K. Ueshiba's uchi-deshi? and so on. Bear in mind that I'm a total green horn and all of this is just a moment of pure escapism.
Thanx.;)

Chris Li
07-26-2002, 12:23 AM
First I'd like to say hello to everyone. Second, I'm a newbie in here and I fear I may have already stepped on toes somewhere. I apologize ahead of time.

My question really concerns something I'm sure all Aikidoka would romanticize about at least to some extent. How would one go about becoming an uchi-deshi at say the hombu dojo? Failing that one of Ueshiba's own uchi-deshi's dojo's? Failing that (incredibly long winded: sorry :rolleyes: ) one of K. Ueshiba's uchi-deshi? and so on. Bear in mind that I'm a total green horn and all of this is just a moment of pure escapism.

Thanx.;)

At Aikikai hombu I would suggest just going and training a lot - some foreigners end up living in the dojo for a while, but there really isn't an easy way into the uchi-deshi program. There are places in Tokyo like Kobayashi Dojo and Shindo Dojo that take in uchi-deshi, probably others if you look around. Iwama does, but you need to be practicing Iwama style already.

K. Ueshiba's dead, so becoming his uchi-deshi might be a little bit difficult - or not, depending on how you think of those things :).

Best,

Chris

Bronson
07-26-2002, 01:26 AM
I believe the AAA organization has people apply for open uchi-deshi spots ,at least the one I visited here in Michigan does. It was open to all ranks and styles too. I mention AAA because they are headquartered in Chicago so if you're really interested you can give 'em a call ;)

Bronson

JJF
07-26-2002, 03:57 AM
Hi!

I recently stumple upon something called an 'Aikido Academy' in Hombu Dojo. I don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be a 6 month intensive course. It isn't an uchi-deshi program but might be interesting anyway.

Just follow this link: http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm and select the 'Guide' button on the left.

Some sensei's in the Tokyo area will let you stay in their dojo while your'e there (I know of at least one). This mean you can train a lot and don't have to pay the obscene cost of boarding in a shelter or a flat.

Good hunting.....

Chris Li
07-26-2002, 06:06 AM
Hi!

I recently stumple upon something called an 'Aikido Academy' in Hombu Dojo. I don't know exactly what it is, but it seems to be a 6 month intensive course. It isn't an uchi-deshi program but might be interesting anyway.
Don't waste your time. You'd be better off just going to the regular classes (there are 5 a day, anyway, that should be enough for most folks),

Best,

Chris

Paul Smith
07-26-2002, 08:50 AM
Dear James:

Please see Aikiweb's home page (General Aikido News) for an announcement and description of Aikido Shinjinkai's uchideshi training program, available here in Chicago.

I can tell you from my own experience, being an uchideshi gave me a gift which continues to bear fruit, and I trust will do so forever. I am grateful and humbled to have had the opportunity, and if you are of the mind to pursue this shugyo, I encourage you and wish you well.

Paul Smith

akiy
07-26-2002, 08:56 AM
The AikiWeb Weblinks Portal (http://www.aikiweb.com/links/) has a section for uchideshi program information on the web:

http://www.aikiweb.com/links/browse.php?cat=70

Many of the sites above have instructions and/or applications for uchideshi training programs.

If any links are missing, I would love to have them included! (Add URL link here (http://www.aikiweb.com/links/add2.php?cat=70&ma=1).)

Hope that helps!

-- Jun

wanderingwriath
07-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanx a bunch everyone. I have, in fact, already emailed Keith Moore sensei and he is sending me the details on the program here in Chicago. The links have all led to interesting places as well. Someday, classic dreamer statement, I'll make it to Japan to study as an uchi desi.

Thanx again friends. :)