PDA

View Full Version : Hiroshi Tada Interview - Part 4

Please visit our sponsor:

Chris Li
09-02-2012, 06:38 PM
New blog post!

Aikido Shihan Hiroshi Tada: The Budo Body, Part 4 - Japanese Budo and Kata Training (http://www.aikidosangenkai.org/blog/archive/2012-09-02/aikido-shihan-hiroshi-tada-the-budo-body-part-4)

Enjoy!

Chris

oisin bourke
09-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Some very interesting things in that article, IMO.

This quote stood out;

"For example, even if your mind and body have both been white up until now, if your mind becomes red your body will also become red in an instant"

I wonder, was this a random example, or was there something specific hinted at? (I haven't read the Japanese original).

Chris Li
09-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Some very interesting things in that article, IMO.

This quote stood out;

"For example, even if your mind and body have both been white up until now, if your mind becomes red your body will also become red in an instant"

I wonder, was this a random example, or was there something specific hinted at? (I haven't read the Japanese original).

Good catch! The original was:

例えば今まで心も白、体も白だってものが、心が赤に変わると、瞬間に体も赤になる様なものです。

Which is pretty straightforward on the face of it - but yes, the "red" and "white" seems to hint at deeper things. There were quite a few references to red and white by Morihei Ueshiba, for example from "Aiki Shinzui":

気の御(み)わざ 赤白魂(たま)や ますみ玉 合気の道は小戸(おど)の神技(かむわざ)

OTOH, red and white is a pretty common way of dividing things in Japan (like saying "black and white" in English, in a way), so it may just be the example that came to mind.

Best,

Chris

oisin bourke
09-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I believe on your blog, you also have an interview with Tamura Sensei? He talks about using kiko/chi gung excercises to "look inside" his body.
Would you know, if Ueshiba Sensei referred to these colours, did he ever use an unusual kanji, for example 覧る, when talking about seeing them?

Chris Li
09-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I believe on your blog, you also have an interview with Tamura Sensei? He talks about using kiko/chi gung excercises to "look inside" his body.
Would you know, if Ueshiba Sensei referred to these colours, did he ever use an unusual kanji, for example 覧る, when talking about seeing them?

I don't recall seeing it offhand, but I'll keep my eyes open!

Best,

Chris

phitruong
09-04-2012, 05:40 AM
OTOH, red and white is a pretty common way of dividing things in Japan (like saying "black and white" in English, in a way), so it may just be the example that came to mind.

Chris

i believed asian reference color white as death (ghost, i.e. gaijin) and color red as life. don't know if it is the case here.

Dan Rubin
09-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper and scroll down to "Combat Mindset -- The Cooper Color Code."

Condition White: unaware and unprepared....
Condition Yellow: relaxed alert....
Condition Orange: specific alert....
Condition Red: you're in a fight....

Tim Fong
09-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Chris,
Thanks for this. I am really enjoying this series of blog posts.

Tim

Chris Li
09-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Chris,
Thanks for this. I am really enjoying this series of blog posts.

Tim

Thanks Tim!

More on the way...

Best,

Chris