PDA

View Full Version : Rutabagans

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

James Sawers
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I really do not want to seem divisive or off topic, but what is a "rutabagan" and how does a rutabagan "suck"?

Patrick Hutchinson
08-17-2012, 02:16 PM
A rutagaba is the deadly projectile of the master practitioners of Llap-Goch.

James Sawers
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Patrick:

Ah, I Am Only A Lowly Scot........all This Welsh Art Is Way Beyond Me.......still, I See Glimmers.........

Anthony Loeppert
08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Patrick:

Ah, I Am Only A Lowly Scot........all This Welsh Art Is Way Beyond Me.......still, I See Glimmers.........

Do you walk towards or away from the glimmers?

James Sawers
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
If the Glimmers are wearing a wee kilty, then I am all theirs............Argh.....

Anthony Loeppert
08-17-2012, 03:09 PM
If the Glimmers are wearing a wee kilty, then I am all theirs............Argh.....

Excellent, one must have a plan in life. It sounds like you've got yours.

Rob Watson
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I See Glimmers.........

'Rutes' contain cyanoglucosides that metabolise to thiocyanate which inhibits thyroid iodide transport which may lead to hypothyroidism and possibly cretinism (not sure about the visual halucinations). Slap some bacon on them neeps and you should be alright. Not sure what to do about the Welsh problem but slap some bacon on that too and I'm sure it will all work out alright eventually.

And maybe have some peas.

Dave de Vos
08-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I didn't know, but it seems to a vegetable (http://www.google.nl/search?q=rutabaga&hl=nl&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=brsuUI7PGMrI0QX1soHoDA&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=817).

James Sawers
08-17-2012, 05:01 PM
'Rutes' contain cyanoglucosides that metabolise to thiocyanate which inhibits thyroid iodide transport which may lead to hypothyroidism and possibly cretinism (not sure about the visual halucinations). Slap some bacon on them neeps and you should be alright. Not sure what to do about the Welsh problem but slap some bacon on that too and I'm sure it will all work out alright eventually.

And maybe have some peas.

Ah, "cretinism".........explains it all..........thanks..........

Janet Rosen
08-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Nothing to turnip your nose at.

Shadowfax
08-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Rutebagans are the practitioners of the art Rutabag-do. Many people despise them and claim that the art is chock full of rutebunnies. Others actually take time to delve into its roots and discover that it is indeed a fine and tasty art And indeed find it most a-peeling.

James Sawers
08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
I didn't realize that Rutabaganism was so widespread.........It is good to be aware of such things. Lucky we have such a knowledgeable early warning system out there.....Keep your eyes out folks, they sometimes try to pass themselves off as a potatoe....

Rob Watson
08-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Ah, "cretinism".........explains it all..........thanks..........

Sorry. I misread your original post - I thought you were one of us ... one of us .... one of us.

Seriously, bacon wrapped neeps are delectable.

James Sawers
08-18-2012, 01:20 AM
I think we've been marginalized....didn't hurt as much as I expected, must be rthe extra bacon......Looks like the adults all want to talk about something other than Rutabagans....Don't understand, but they are not one of us.... See you all in the patch......

Michael Hackett
08-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Ah Janet.........

Tuber or not tuber

Janet Rosen
08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Ah Janet.........

Tuber or not tuber

Corm here and grab my wrist :)

Rob Watson
08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
must be rthe extra bacon

Ah, the root of the issue!

Diana Frese
08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
We always called them turnips. When I found out the large turnips seemed to be rutabagas I thought it made a dandy cheer, as when I was younger we heard about all sorts of cheers, some with nonsense syllables like sis boom bah.

How about rutabaga rutabaga rah rah rutabaga. It helps if you really like the taste. I read the Scots call them bashed neeps if you mash them

Somehow the four syllables, then two, then four, though not traditional for Japanese, works fine for Americans.

James Sawers
08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Well, as a transplanted Scot, I just love my mashed turnips..........now with extra bacon......

Shadowfax
08-18-2012, 03:19 PM
..........now with extra bacon......

Ahhh nice crispy bacon. And don't forget the taters precious!:D

Walter Martindale
08-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Or if you're in New Zealand... "Swedes"...

dps
08-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I really do not want to seem divisive or off topic, but what is a neep ?

Should I have started a new thread?

dps

James Sawers
08-19-2012, 01:57 AM

dps

Good point......I always thought a neep was a baby sheep, but I could be wrong (and no, please no threads on sheep!).........

sakumeikan
08-19-2012, 03:50 AM

dps

Dear Dave,
A neep is a Turnip.It usually get this title in the celebration called Burns night [named after the poet Rabbie Burns]. Neeps are usually teamed up with Tatties[potatoes]Haggis [ the chosen poison of the English classes].This delicacy is joined by a fair consumption of Whisky .The end product is a real sense of delirium wherein in a mental haze, the participants chant ancient folk songs and recite strange words of power[known a poetry].You have not lived if you have not been party to this Celtic form of Spirit worship eg Johnny Walker, Famous Grouse, Chivas Regal etc.
Cheers, Joe

Diana Frese
08-19-2012, 05:41 AM
ah, childhood memories. There actually was a brand of frozen prepared turnips (mashed, I believe) named after a famous comic strip L'il Abner. Probably the producers of the product thought kids would be more likely to eat them if L'il Abner liked them. For those of my vintage, L'il Abner was not a little kid and neither was his girlfriend Daisy Mae. And his mother was famous for the "double whammy" for those who dared to challenge her authority on anything.

I read about bashed neeps in a book by would you believe Margaret Truman, the daughter of the former President. The chief character was a Scotswoman. She also mentioned haggis, which includes the lungs of a sheep. I was invited to the home of a college friend in Brooklyn and they served a delicious dish of "lights", tastily flavored with ground black pepper, I think it was.

About the Chivas, I noticed a quote from Yoshimitsu Yamada at the bottom of Mr. Watson's quote. I seem to remember Yamada Sensei drinking Chivas when he took our group to his favorite bar. This was decades ago.

I also remember a class taught by TK Lee at New York Aikikai which I was planning to attend after midday dinner in Brooklyn. I was worried that during ukemi practice I would fall through the tatami onto the floor below (the dojo is a second story loft in Chelsea) after the aforementioned lights plus sweet potato pie. It didn't happen, fortunately, but that was some dinner.

Please excuse the rambling nostalgia, but I figured the Scots would be interested in some American dishes too.

dps
08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Dear Dave,
A neep is a Turnip.It usually get this title in the celebration called Burns night [named after the poet Rabbie Burns]. Neeps are usually teamed up with Tatties[potatoes]Haggis [ the chosen poison of the English classes].This delicacy is joined by a fair consumption of Whisky .The end product is a real sense of delirium wherein in a mental haze, the participants chant ancient folk songs and recite strange words of power[known a poetry].You have not lived if you have not been party to this Celtic form of Spirit worship eg Johnny Walker, Famous Grouse, Chivas Regal etc.
Cheers, Joe

Haggis hmmmm, that would explain why you would need a fair amount of whiskey.

dps

James Sawers
08-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Wow, this is a good example of how some of these forums delve off into strange (dare I say, off topic) territory...........Now, about those sheep.....!!

Janet Rosen
08-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Wow, this is a good example of how some of these forums delve off into strange (dare I say, off topic) territory...........Now, about those sheep.....!!

uh, oh, gotta run, I'm on the lamb....and this topic is getting baaaaaahd.

Shadowfax
08-19-2012, 03:26 PM
uh, oh, gotta run, I'm on the lamb....and this topic is getting baaaaaahd.

Well... that explains all of the sheepish looks. :o

Michael Hackett
08-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Sheep just lie - they do - never believe anything they say.

Shadowfax
08-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Well then that explains the whole three bags full affair. The little boy who lives down the lane still claims he never received the goods.

Janet Rosen
08-20-2012, 09:39 AM
That's what you get for wool-gathering...

Patrick Hutchinson
08-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Speaking of Burns Night and sheep:
Did you hear about the Scottish Rolling Stones cover band?
Their first hit was "Hey MacLeod, Get Off My Ewe."
Followed by "You Can't Always Get What Ewe You Want."

You can watch both of these on Pay-Per-Ewe.

Michael Hackett
08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
You just never know what kind of comments will turnip on these threads.

James Sawers
08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
It is not generally known, but the internal power of sheep allows them to feel soft on the outside, very giving, you might say, but with an internal strength that also allows them to live in harmony with the group, blending and harmonizing with all..............even their vocalization (baaaa) is actually an invocation to their ancestral spirits...........still, others do take advantage of them, but does that say more about them than the sheep.......?

Patrick Hutchinson
08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Sheep.
You can always count on them.

Janet Rosen
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
You just never know what kind of comments will turnip on these threads.

Sorry. Post number 10 took care of that one... :D

James Sawers
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Sheep to shore.........

phitruong
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Sheep.
You can always count on them.

only the good ones :D

oh dear! i am entering neep conversation through a sheep which is kinda shearing, but might be in a good way. of course, i might be kid-ding. :)

Rob Watson
08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Wish I could remember where I heard the story about Chiba Kazuo and the woolen hakama ....
'ool!' ... 'what?' ... 'OOL!' .... guess you have to be familiar with 'Chibaspeak'.

Sheep will certain eat rutabegas and then watch out! Also, let us not forget the knights who say 'neep'! Wisdom comes from many places.

Michael Hackett
08-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Janet, I forgot - he said with a sheepish grin.....honestly I didn't intend to root around in your bag a tricks.