PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Mark Harrington
08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Watching the gymnastic competition in the Olympics and was struck by the obvious.

On the beam, for example, it's all circular movement around a center that must stay over the beam. They may flip frontwards or backwards, or turn, or in one amazing move, flip and twist in the air landing facing the other direction, but it is all circles around a maintained center. To the extent that they can perform their moves and keep their one point, they stay on the beam.

This is not to say there is anything easy about gymnastics. Only that I am seeing the same basic principles used over and over by athletes at a very high level of training.

Malicat
08-06-2012, 11:52 AM
This is not to say there is anything easy about gymnastics. Only that I am seeing the same basic principles used over and over by athletes at a very high level of training.

Sensei Mark,

One of my favorite things is to see and recognize Aikido principles being used off of the mat. One of these days I will break down and get a TV so I can watch things like the Olympics. :)

--Ashley

genin
08-06-2012, 11:59 AM
It's all about maintaining that center of gravity. This is really a scientific principle of physics, applied to any number of athletic endeavors including Aikido.