PDA

View Full Version : family business or quality of art?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Paula Lydon
07-03-2002, 08:13 AM
I've often wondered--with all due respect--Did O Sensei's son take over after his death because he was the best overall candidate, or simply because he was his son? Mind wanderings, but what do you think? :rolleyes:

Edward
07-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Is this a trap question? :)

My understanding is that martial arts succession is traditionally hereditary in japan.

Kensai
07-03-2002, 11:15 AM
I would feel that is better that O Sensei made a concise dission and past on our noble art to his son. For example if not then this can cause a civil war within the art. This was seen when the late Wing Chun master did not do this. His 3 best pupils then fought for the title of Sifu, which can only be a bad thing.

Cheers

Chris

Abasan
07-05-2002, 10:17 AM
To be a leader of X, one need not be the very best of X. One would need to know fairly well what X is all about, one also should be competent in it. But a good leader will have good people under him who are very good in X.

As a leader, one's most important skill is to manage the organisation, the people and everything else.

Leadership is a huge responsibility. To fight for it seems foolhardy. Most good leaders are forced by the majority and their conscience to take leadership.

Lyle Bogin
07-09-2002, 11:04 AM
There is a very interesting article on this general subject here:

http://koryu.com/library/wbodiford1.html

Paula Lydon
07-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Lyle, thanks for the e-address, very good article. :D