PDA

View Full Version : Guns and ammo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

erminio
07-01-2002, 04:13 PM
I've read that some aikidoka (is it the right word? If not, sorry) defense himself with weapons rather than his skills; but I'm reading a book on Aikido that quotes Ueshiba sensei saying you have to break the attack, not your enemy, so I can't understand: is it a wrong quote?
More: (please don't laugh) I remember David Carradine in "Kung Fu": he looked like very "spiritual", I can't remember any opponent killed; now if you see Seagal?s movies..it's a cemetary , and he shoots, too.

So please, make me understand: what are we talking about when we talk of self defense?

Have a good day

Erminio

SeiserL
07-01-2002, 05:10 PM
IMHO, using a gun would be self-offense (but sometimes the best defense is a good offense), while getting off the line of fire would be self-defense.

Don't worry about the stories or the cinema, just go to your dojo and train.

Until again,

Lynn

guest1234
07-01-2002, 05:10 PM
David Carradine was acting in a TV show; Seagal sensei acts in movies. Neither are real. I don't do Aikido to defend myself; the only situation I can imagine myself in where someone is trying to seriously injure me, and I can't dial 911, is if I am war. Then I'd use a 9mm--because that is not a TV show or a movie, and sometimes in real life, people die. I don't want to kill anyone, but neither am I interested in dying, and wars are not fought on the mat. Does that make it any more understandable?

erminio
07-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SeiserL
IMHO, using a gun would be self-offense (but sometimes the best defense is a good offense), while getting off the line of fire would be self-defense.

Don't worry about the stories or the cinema, just go to your dojo and train.

Until again,

Lynn

Excuse me, I can't understand..what do you mean? If someone attacks, you get off then the gun talks?

Have a good day

PS: what does IMHO means?

Erminio

erminio
07-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ca
David Carradine was acting in a TV show; Seagal sensei acts in movies. Neither are real. I don't do Aikido to defend myself; the only situation I can imagine myself in where someone is trying to seriously injure me, and I can't dial 911, is if I am war. Then I'd use a 9mm--because that is not a TV show or a movie, and sometimes in real life, people die. I don't want to kill anyone, but neither am I interested in dying, and wars are not fought on the mat. Does that make it any more understandable?

Oh yes, but I live in Italy: if you use a gun you're always the bad guy (that's why only bad guys have guns, of course).
That's why I have to learn aikido to self-defensing me..
Thanks anyway.

Erminio

Brian H
07-05-2002, 02:08 PM
I'm a policeman, so I can carry a pistol just about anywhere. I also live in Virginia, where virtually any adult (no criminal record/no mental, drug, or alcohol problems) can carry a handgun also with a permit (cost $50 for five years). Yes you can "take uke's center and unbalance him" with a gun. You "step off the line" by putting yourself behind protective cover and making yourself a difficult target, while at the same time you could immediately kill "uke." You maintain "your own center" by using good voice commands ("POLICE - DON'T MOVE","DROP THE WEAPON","SHOW ME YOUR HANDS","GET ON THE GROUND" ETC.) "Uke's" ukemi is to listen and obey. "Nage's" job is to take control/unbalance "uke" and guide him into his ukemi, and there by preserve him. The presence of a weapon is a tool. The tool is morally neutral. It is the person who wields it gives it human meaning.