PDA

View Full Version : Dance and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Aikido Dancer
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi all!

I am a dancer just beginning to discover aikido.

I have a passion for movement and am extremely intrigued by the philosophy of aikido, its intersection of the mental and the physical. I came to this forum to better understand aikido and its community of practitioners.

I was introduced to aikido through an internship at Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara. As a dancer, I could see instant parallels between the two disciplines, which I explore in my blog: A Dancer's Guide to Aikido (adancersguidetoaikido.aksb.org).

Looking forward to sharing experiences, thoughts and perceptions with you!

akiy
03-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi Oxana,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido.

-- Jun

PhilMyKi
03-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi all!

I am a dancer just beginning to discover aikido.

I have a passion for movement and am extremely intrigued by the philosophy of aikido, its intersection of the mental and the physical. I came to this forum to better understand aikido and its community of practitioners.

I was introduced to aikido through an internship at Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara. As a dancer, I could see instant parallels between the two disciplines, which I explore in my blog: A Dancer's Guide to Aikido (adancersguidetoaikido.aksb.org).

Looking forward to sharing experiences, thoughts and perceptions with you!

Welcome to the world of aikido; I have recently discovered that I am quite passable (for a complete novice) at the argentine tango. Coincidence? I think not :D

Marie Noelle Fequiere
03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Welcome to our community, Oxana.
One thing I can tell you is that the same qualities that make a good dancer will also make a good martial artist.
Now, your determination will make the rest.
The fun has just started!;)

Robert Cowham
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
My main teacher over the years has been Paul Smith (or Paul Douglas to use his stage name) who runs Tetushinkan - see http://www.movingeast.co.uk/tetsushinkan/Paul_Smith.html

Tetsushinkan has had a fair few dancers as aikido students over the years as a result. For those of us less physically able, it can be occasionally annoying to work with such flexible people :) That said, aikido takes work and effort, and dancers need time to learn it too - it is not always that close to the skills they have learned as dancers (but depends on your teachers - for example Sasha, Paul's wife, now teaches dance at The Place, informed by many years of aikido alongside her dance experience).

Hope you have fun!

danj
03-10-2012, 05:16 AM
My main teacher over the years has been Paul Smith (or Paul Douglas to use his stage name) who runs Tetushinkan - see http://www.movingeast.co.uk/tetsushinkan/Paul_Smith.html

How nice to hear this dojo is still going, I had a brief visit to the London dojo in the late 90's and just prior to it moving away for some time I discovered a month hence :( Quite confronting for the brain at the time...enjoyed the videos on the website. thanks

dan

PeterR
03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Reminds me of a post I wrote a long way back [the magic of the search function]. There is a lot of connection not jut at the physical movement level but what it really takes to get there.

Actually Jo I use the dance analogy quite often to get my students to understand Budo spirit.

When a top-level ballet dancer does Giselle she must become a 16 year bundle of naivety.
When she dances Carmen she must become a 26 year old pack of trouble.
Same with Budo - you must mentally become what you are trying to achieve.

That little aside most ballet teachers (I'm married to one) at local clubs face the same problem as Aikido . Students just going through the motions. She has commented a number of times about the level of discipline shown by students of my teacher and how a greater proportion seem to get it.

Now the physical requirement of top-flight dancers is pretty high and that coupled with the almost anorexic nature of the women make the potential for injury horrible. I don't wish that life on anyone.

Aikido Dancer
03-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and insight!
There is so much fascinating information and wisdom on the forums here at AikiWeb. It is profoundly humbling yet so inspiring.
I am so grateful to have found this site! I think it will be a great guide to deepening my understanding of the practice.

ENevois
03-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm anxious to follow your blog Oxana. As a former dancer myself and well into my Aikido training, I'm happy to find fellow female aikidoka to share their experiences.