View Full Version : Vibram Five Fingers Update

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Janet Rosen
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Wearing them was on and off for a long time due to wet weather. After wearing them exclusively for a week, last night I noted a little heel pain developing under L foot - did a quick plantar fascia check, yep tenderness along the lateral line running up to toes 4 and 5. Ditto on R foot. Interesting because all prior p.f. issues were medial arch. But I noticed that moving toes 4 and 5 aggravated it a bit so am assuming its due to increased activation of them in pushing off/walking. Last night I did lots of standing on/rolling on a rubber ball. Today I decided to pull out an old, worn soft set of Dr Scholl orthotics and stuck them in my Soft Star mocassins - perfect solution. It was our first warm day in ages (low 70s) and it felt good to take a long walk on my afternoon break. So I think I have to schedule in some breaks like this as my feet change.

Cliff Judge
02-22-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't recall if you have posted this - have you been wearing these frequently or are they brand-new? You can expect some discomfort as your feet adjust to the experience.

I got a new pair of KSO Treks! My dog, Tomoe, finally chewed the strap off of one of them. I always figured it was because these shoes get really smelly, which to a dog means they get "deeply awesome." So imagine my consternation when I came home last week to find that she had done some climbing to get the new shoes down from a shelf and moved them to a different room of the house. Neatly placed next to each other. No apparent damage, but now I know that its actually just shoes she likes.

02-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I've always wanted a pair of those, but my feet are too big, lol. I wear Sketchers Shape-ups a lot. I actually noticed a slight visible improvement in the muscularity of my calves after a year. Only problem is, when I wear regular shoes it feels like I have a hitch in my step, because I'm so used to the fluidity of walking on the rounded soles vs. flat ones. But I'd recommend them to pretty much anyone. They make walking easier, plain and simple.

02-22-2012, 11:18 AM
1. It'll take more than a few weeks for your feet to adjust, especially if you weren't already a frequent barefooter to begin with.

2. monitor how you walk. You can't walk with the normal heel strike in these things. If you're getting heel pain, make sure that's not why.

3. If you still have foot fatigue after a few months of steady wear, make sure you got a good fit. I'd almost go as far as to suggest getting the socks to go with them and size to the socked foot, not the bare foot. Besides, the socks will keep them from turning into something that smells like animal carcass on your foot.

Janet Rosen
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Like the thread title says, it's an UPDATE folks - I wanted to share latest info on my experience, didn't feel like recapitulating months old updates.

Janet Rosen
02-22-2012, 01:12 PM
So this stinky foot thing has come up in a few places.
And am I the only human in the world whose feet don't sweat much and whose foot sweat doesn't smell? Is it a guy thing - or is it a non-gendered runner's/athletic thing ? - I don't know. I don't run or otherwise do things that induce massive sweating.
Objective reality: It's NOT a matter of me being one of those prissy "my s*** don't stink" people - this is real; my cats LOOOOOVE body odors - you should see them looking around all happy an hour after I eat some kimchee :-) - and they ignore my feet and my Vibrams even in hot weather.

Pauliina Lievonen
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
So I think I have to schedule in some breaks like this as my feet change.Sounds sensible!

It's a good question though about how you walk - how do you? ( I know, not a really easy question to answer in writing).

About the odors... I don't know if my feet would smell.:) They don't get the chance because working at home I rarely wear shoes for a long period of time.

I went on a run for the first time in my fivefingers on Monday. Mostly walk and a little bit of running to be precise. Calf muscles are still quite sore today, this will take a good adjusting period it seems if I really want to take up running in them. I could have ran a lot longer before getting winded. Which was actually a nice feeling.