PDA

View Full Version : No dojos in middle Georgia, looking for form alternatives

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

SplosionMcAwsum
02-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga. I find my brain seems to click with many of Aikido's principles and have been desperately wanting to try it out for years. Are there any other forms that share some of the core tenets that I may need to expand my search for? I've just begun dipping my toe into Seidokan Karate, which has some of the same Aiki-Jutsu roots (about 2 weeks of training so far). I've also been training in Kali/Escrima for about 2 years, though rather informally (I'll be driving several hours this summer for my first belt tests), and found it to have many of the same :square: :circle: :triangle: concepts as I understand them to be used in Aikido, though usually the redirection ends in a strike or lock instead of a throw and lock. I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.

Larry Feldman
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Check the Dojo Search, but my guess is that you will have to drive to Atlanta...

dalen7
03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga.
I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.

I would personally check out the MMA/BJJ groups and perhaps give them a try if I liked what I saw.
Do some research, etc. and see if you can get feedback.

If you ever move to where there is Aikido then you can see about mixing BJJ/Aikido.
[Check out Roy Deans Art of the Wristlock] ;)

Peace

Dalen

James Davis
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.aikidoschoolsofgeorgia.com/&sa=U&ei=IUtaT5zKCIaltwfCo-iFDA&ved=0CBAQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHhiZZl_Jbk5PcJ0Cr9MPRy5dQLbw

Hanna B
03-17-2012, 07:07 AM
I've been unable to find any dojo's within an hour or so of Macon/Warner Robins, Ga. I find my brain seems to click with many of Aikido's principles and have been desperately wanting to try it out for years. Are there any other forms that share some of the core tenets that I may need to expand my search for? I've just begun dipping my toe into Seidokan Karate, which has some of the same Aiki-Jutsu roots (about 2 weeks of training so far). I've also been training in Kali/Escrima for about 2 years, though rather informally (I'll be driving several hours this summer for my first belt tests), and found it to have many of the same :square: :circle: :triangle: concepts as I understand them to be used in Aikido, though usually the redirection ends in a strike or lock instead of a throw and lock. I believe I've found a Ninjutsu dojo nearby, but they seem to be at full capacity. There are plenty of other schools around here, but most of what I know of seem to be Tae Kwon Do and some MMA/BJJ groups.

Many of aikido's principles will be found in other arts. Karate and taekwondo is not what I would think of, though. And to me, MMA/BJJ is a different animal entirely.

Regarding kali/escrima I can't judge, but I would go for jujutsu-related arts with as close ties to Japan as possible. "Ninjutsu" can mean som many different things - some of it is good jujutsu though.

Seidokan karate doesn't strike ni as jujutsu related? http://seidokankarate.com/default.aspx There's a jujutsu style also named Seidokan that is, though.

kfa4303
04-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Hi Austin. We're a little more than an hour away, but if you're ever in Tallahassee, FL feel free to stop by our dojo, North Florida School of Aikido (ASU). We have class Tue & Thu (evening) and Sat.(morning). Good luck in your search.

Steven
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.mitakaaikido.org/
This is a Yoshinkan club. Not sure where it is in relationship to middle Georgia.

Scott Harrington
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
SKYPE it.

I just heard a bagpiper student doing it (at least you can turn down the sound level from those infernal machines.)

Scott Harrington