PDA

View Full Version : Applied Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

dapidmini
02-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm still wondering if I should post this here instead of the "Off-The-Mat" subforum.:rolleyes:

all this time, I've been taught that the mental and spiritual aspects of a martial arts are more important than the technical details of the techniques..:cool: after all the readings, listening, seeing, training, experiencing, and thinking that I've done, a thought occurred to me that there are more than what meets the eyes in every concept and movement in Aikido other than the martial aspects.. :eek:

these are some thoughts on how a concept/movements in Aikido can be applied in real life:
1. Irimi = taking initiative
2. Tenkan = not all problems should be faced head on. instead, sometimes we need to take another way around it
3. Atemi = take every chance available (tsukiari)
4. Ukemi = when falling, we need to fall safely. and more importantly, to get back up right away

what do you think? if you can think of another aspect/concept of Aikido and it's application in real life, I'd like to hear about it.:D

NagaBaba
02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Aikido techniques are very ephemeral. You create it on the fly and they disappear immediately. Can’t reproduce it anymore. Casual observer see not much.
Il is like every moment in your life – if you don’t pay strong attention, your life will gone without you really live it.
Also it teaches you to not value too much things that are not eternal.

gates
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Kuzushi on contact - first impressions count

Alic
02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Going with the flow instead of resisting for one.

You could also say that evading danger is a part of it.

Awareness of oneself and others, particularly observing for their emotions and intentions.

nickregnier1
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
1. Keep a good posture with awareness of your surrounding and you will be less likely to be attacked (attacker look for preys and people who tend to walk with poor posture or look like they are not aware of their surroundings).
2. Keep a good distance between yourself and the unknown person(s)
3. Be assertive and confident - best weapon here is your tongue...

All the best.

These are good tips I have learnt from being a bouncer in London nightclubs for over a decade (now a thing of the past) but this has helped me and my Aikido greatly...

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon

gregstec
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
1. Keep a good posture with awareness of your surrounding and you will be less likely to be attacked (attacker look for preys and people who tend to walk with poor posture or look like they are not aware of their surroundings).
2. Keep a good distance between yourself and the unknown person(s)
3. Be assertive and confident - best weapon here is your tongue...

All the best.

These are good tips I have learnt from being a bouncer in London nightclubs for over a decade (now a thing of the past) but this has helped me and my Aikido greatly...

Nick Regnier

http://www.aspireaikidolondon.co.uk
Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspire...79305248800728
and Twitter https://twitter.com/AspireAikidoLon

4. If aggressively confronted by an unarmed individual, just start laughing hysterically and very loud; just throws them way of guard - of course, if they don't buy that, best to have some training for plan B :D

Greg

graham christian
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm still wondering if I should post this here instead of the "Off-The-Mat" subforum.:rolleyes:

all this time, I've been taught that the mental and spiritual aspects of a martial arts are more important than the technical details of the techniques..:cool: after all the readings, listening, seeing, training, experiencing, and thinking that I've done, a thought occurred to me that there are more than what meets the eyes in every concept and movement in Aikido other than the martial aspects.. :eek:

these are some thoughts on how a concept/movements in Aikido can be applied in real life:
1. Irimi = taking initiative
2. Tenkan = not all problems should be faced head on. instead, sometimes we need to take another way around it
3. Atemi = take every chance available (tsukiari)
4. Ukemi = when falling, we need to fall safely. and more importantly, to get back up right away

what do you think? if you can think of another aspect/concept of Aikido and it's application in real life, I'd like to hear about it.:D

1) Irimi-enter all things with non resistance and interest.
2) Tenkan- join and align with to gain proper perspective.
3) Atemi- meet rather than block or resist everything.
4) Ukemi- enjoy the falls in life.
5) Ikyyo- be kind
6) Nikkyo- complete with humility.
7) Sankyo- Thank you very much. Give thanks.
8) Kotegaishi- return to harmony.
9) tenchinage- Open to love and respect.
10) Kaitenage- take responsibility.

There's a few.

Regards.G.

nickregnier1
02-28-2012, 04:13 AM
4. If aggressively confronted by an unarmed individual, just start laughing hysterically and very loud; just throws them way of guard - of course, if they don't buy that, best to have some training for plan B :D

Greg

Thanks Greg, but No 4, could escalate the issue especially if the person feels humiliated... Quite a risky option to consider hence to have a plan B for this option (definitely need it...)

Regards,

Nick

gregstec
02-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks Greg, but No 4, could escalate the issue especially if the person feels humiliated... Quite a risky option to consider hence to have a plan B for this option (definitely need it...)

Regards,

Nick

Yes, that is the beauty of it - you can have some fun, but don't do it if you don't have a back up.

On a more serious note, the point is to present something the attacker is not expecting - it disrupts their plans and gives them pause; at which time, you have a chance to react in some protective way - for those untrained, it should be run away as fast as you can.

Greg

nickregnier1
02-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Sure Greg,

definitely agree with your last paragraph about untrained people...
Regards,
Nick