PDA

View Full Version : Aikido while in the airforce

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

emerys
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
I recently joined the airforce and I ship in a week. I get to make a wish list of where I would like to be stationed I get 8 places. I'm trying to find good studios near to the bases. So far I have Japan, new Mexico for a few of chiba sensei's high ranks, Denver Colorado for gaku homma, los Angeles, but I would like to know of some others. I am interested in chiba's group, usaf, tenshin, and anybody who has trained with nishio Sensei or barrish Sensei.

Any help would be appreciated.

Malicat
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I recently joined the airforce and I ship in a week. I get to make a wish list of where I would like to be stationed I get 8 places. I'm trying to find good studios near to the bases. So far I have Japan, new Mexico for a few of chiba sensei's high ranks, Denver Colorado for gaku homma, los Angeles, but I would like to know of some others. I am interested in chiba's group, usaf, tenshin, and anybody who has trained with nishio Sensei or barrish Sensei.

The founder of the style of Aikido I practice is Roy Suenaka. He was career air force, and settled in at his last post in Charleston, South Carolina.

http://www.suenaka.com/

--Ashley

lbb
01-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Go for Robins ;-)

robin_jet_alt
01-26-2012, 05:04 AM
Go for Robins ;-)

Mine?

lbb
01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Mine?

Heh, no, Robins AFB in Warner Robins, GA. While at a previous job, I was sentenced to do several site visits here. The town was limited, shall we say.

emerys
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
does suenaka teach aikido or something similar to wado ryu? i see he has an extensive striking background, but i can't find much of his training. I also can't find anything about robins, could i get a little information, which school is it or similar to, what is the training times? stuff like that. thank you guys for your help.

chillzATL
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
does suenaka teach aikido or something similar to wado ryu? i see he has an extensive striking background, but i can't find much of his training. I also can't find anything about robins, could i get a little information, which school is it or similar to, what is the training times? stuff like that. thank you guys for your help.

He teaches aikido and matsumura seito shorin ryu, but has a rather extensive background in a variety of things. His organization is called Wadokai. It's all on the site that Ashley linked too.

http://www.suenaka.com

Steven
01-26-2012, 04:31 PM

TRAVIS AFB near Fairfield, CA puts you near the Aikido Institute of Davis (http://aikidodavis.com/) which I understand is a very good school. That puts you about half way between Sacramento and San Francisco.

BEALE AFB in Marysville, CA puts you about 30- 40 minutes from me (http://www.seikeikan.com).

Lots of good aikido in Los Angeles but no real AFB. There is one but it's not a AFB by traditional standards. It supports the aerospace industry.

odudog
01-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Suenaka's aikido is street affective and very hard. I have not learned from him but I have practiced with a lot of people that did.

emerys
01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
i think suenaka is definately going onto the list. he will be high up on the list with Albuquerque Aikikai. has anybody here trained with gaku homma sensei and knows his aikido? i know he's done a lot of iwama and that he trains foreign military, but i can't get many clear examples of his aikido off the internet.

teburden
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
We're USAF and right beside Whiteman AFB. And a few of our members are active or reserve.

Shadowfax
01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I have a friend in the AF stationed in Tinker OK and last time I looked I recall there were quite a few dojo in that area.

Michael Hackett
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I had the privilege of taking one class from Homma Sensei at the 2005 Aiki Expo. First, he is a very nice man and very personable. His aikido is wonderful and very powerful, and he is full of neat "tricks". That one hour was the highlight of the Expo for me, even above meeting Jun Aikiyama and receiving his kotogaeshi.