PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a REAL Beginner

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

RealBeginner
12-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I discovered Aikido in Tokyo in 1973. I was a ninth grader from Idaho on a summer exchange program. We were staying in one of the 1964 Olympic venues. I walked into a huge training hall and saw some people in hakamas practicing this amazing, fluid martial art. I watched for quite awhile and at the end of their practice, I struck up a conversation with a westerner who turned out to be American. He told me they were practicing Aikido and explained the basic principles and philosophy of the art. That conversation changed my life, but it took a lot of time for things to unfold. If anyone has a guess who the aikidoka I spoke to in Tokyo was, please let me know

In the late 70's there was not a lot of Aikido in Idaho. However, in 1977 I was going to college in Boise and discovered a Ki Society dojo where I studied for a couple of years. I carry that experience with me every day. I deeply regret I do not recall the name of the sensei. If anyone knows who it was, please let me know. I would be very grateful.

Since the mid-1990's I have been in Missoula, Montana studying off and on with Raso Hultgren Sensei. Although I have trained diligently for about the last five years, my prior inconsistency and my severe Aikido learning disability earns me the AikiWeb name of "Real Beginner."

gregstec
12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I discovered Aikido in Tokyo in 1973. I was a ninth grader from Idaho on a summer exchange program. We were staying in one of the 1964 Olympic venues. I walked into a huge training hall and saw some people in hakamas practicing this amazing, fluid martial art. I watched for quite awhile and at the end of their practice, I struck up a conversation with a westerner who turned out to be American. He told me they were practicing Aikido and explained the basic principles and philosophy of the art. That conversation changed my life, but it took a lot of time for things to unfold. If anyone has a guess who the aikidoka I spoke to in Tokyo was, please let me know

In the late 70's there was not a lot of Aikido in Idaho. However, in 1977 I was going to college in Boise and discovered a Ki Society dojo where I studied for a couple of years. I carry that experience with me every day. I deeply regret I do not recall the name of the sensei. If anyone knows who it was, please let me know. I would be very grateful.

Since the mid-1990's I have been in Missoula, Montana studying off and on with Raso Hultgren Sensei. Although I have trained diligently for about the last five years, my prior inconsistency and my severe Aikido learning disability earns me the AikiWeb name of "Real Beginner."

Welcome to aikiweb - i have trained with some of Raso's students and they all speak highly of her as being very soft; which is good by the way :) One student is a guy by the name of Warren, an older gent and a lot of fun - hope he is still around and training.

Greg

SteveTrinkle
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Hello! I met Raso Sensei and some of her students at Jean-Rene Sensei's dojo in Nelson, British Columbia around 2002 or so. Very fun to train with!

RealBeginner
12-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Greg:
Warren Little is still training regularly. He is in his early eighties. We call him O-senpai. He is as much fun as ever.

gregstec
12-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Greg:
Warren Little is still training regularly. He is in his early eighties. We call him O-senpai. He is as much fun as ever.

Glad to here it - he is the last of the two fisted drinkers - every time I saw him off the mat during the two Aikido cruises back in 2005 and 2006, he always had a drink in each hand; bourbon I believe :D

Greg