PDA

View Full Version : Hey there!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Suoma
10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
I started doing aikido a month ago and have been lurking around here for a while, but only now decided to register and maybe participate on some discussions :)

Little bit about myself:
I'm from Finland, and most likely the youngest generation, only 15 years old. Because of this my English isn't perfect, but I hope you can understand it :)
I do Aikikai aikido in my local dojo, which seems to be quite nice; we have 2 6th dan instructors and multiple 2th dan instructors.

I have read pretty much everything I can find with ease from google or from aikiweb, can you recommend a good newbie friendly Aikido book? It can be about just about everything, I just love reading stuff about aikido.

Rubber Man
10-01-2011, 10:30 AM
welcome matey! i would check out aikido and the dynamic sphere its really awesome!

akiy
10-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Kasper,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Suoma
10-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I ordered Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction from amazon, will arrive around 10th day :) Excited.

FiuzA
10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi Kasper and welcome to Aikiweb.

You're english is just fine (mine isn't better!) and your passion for aikido is visible which is amazing in young people like yourself.

May you be around for many years!

Cheers

Edit: I'd recommend another book I think fits just fine for you: Aikido Basics (http://www.amazon.com/Aikido-Basics-Tuttle-Martial-Arts/dp/0804834903).

One of the authors is a regular poster here on Aikiweb also :)

Suoma
10-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Andre (please pretend the e has accent on it :p)

Thanks for the kind words, however I already purchased Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere and would wish to read it first. Once I finish that I either am more advanced already or will buy the book you suggested.

Regards, Kasper

BTW: It feels a bit weird to call people their real names on the internet - I am used to using usernames instead. Am I rude if I call people by their username instead of their real name?

Shadowfax
01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
A really nice book for beginners is "Aikido the Peaceful Martial Art" by Stefan Stenudd sensei. The glossary in the back is wonderful and the book goes through a lot of the details of dojo etiquette and different aspects of training including the uniform. ;)

Malicat
01-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Little bit about myself:
I'm from Finland, and most likely the youngest generation, only 15 years old. Because of this my English isn't perfect, but I hope you can understand it :)
I do Aikikai aikido in my local dojo, which seems to be quite nice; we have 2 6th dan instructors and multiple 2th dan instructors.

I have read pretty much everything I can find with ease from google or from aikiweb, can you recommend a good newbie friendly Aikido book? It can be about just about everything, I just love reading stuff about aikido.

Hi Kasper! Tervetuloa!

Nice to see you here! After you get finished with Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, which I have just started on as well, you might want to pick up The Art of Peace.

And I think the real name vs username bit is kind of strange as well, so I try to use whatever people sign their posts with, if I remember., that is. :)

Glad you have a good dojo in Turku! I try to visit Finland at least once a year, but I usually spend my time in Oulu.

--Ashley

Pauliina Lievonen
01-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi Kasper , welcome to Aikiweb.

I'll just be nice to everybody else and not start writing in Finnish. ;-) I visited your dojo once or twice, but many many years ago. Nice place.

Ashley, I'm curious - what brings you to Oulu so often, family? Did you know that there's a dojo there? They're a nice bunch of people, although I haven't visited them for a few years now.

kvaak
Pauliina

Malicat
01-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Ashley, I'm curious - what brings you to Oulu so often, family? Did you know that there's a dojo there? They're a nice bunch of people, although I haven't visited them for a few years now.

kvaak
Pauliina

Pauliina,

My fiance was from Oulu. Sadly, he passed away about 4 years ago, but I still try to remain close to his family, and our friends are... something spectacular. :) His mother is an amazing woman, and I do like spending time with her, even though she doesn't speak English.

Besides, I can't find a decent sauna anywhere in this country. :( Or kebab. *sniff* Although I would be quite excited to visit the dojo out there on my next visit!

--Ashley

Pauliina Lievonen
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Sorry about your fiance. That's cool that you keep in touch with his family!

Funny that you would mention kebab as a reason to go to... Finland. :-D I miss sauna here in Holland, too.

http://www.hokutokai.fi/fi/hokutokai is the website of the dojo.

kvaak
Pauliina

Malicat
01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Funny that you would mention kebab as a reason to go to... Finland. :-D I miss sauna here in Holland, too.

http://www.hokutokai.fi/fi/hokutokai is the website of the dojo.

kvaak
Pauliina

Thanks for the link Pauliina! And yes, I realize that is quite silly, but one of my requirements on landing is a trip to the sauna and then some kebab. After that, my friends are odd, and insist Finnish food is terrible, and rye bread is about the only Finnish food I eat. It's a beautiful country though, and I am looking forward to my next trip even more now, since I might be able to catch a class!

--Ashley