PDA

View Full Version : New to Aikido (Los Angeles)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jim Cowgill
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello!

My name is Jim Cowgill; and at age 51, I have just started my first Aikido sessions. This is my first experience in martial arts as well.

I love Aikido's philosophy of harmony. As a psychotherapist, I appreciate the concept of meeting someone where they are and redirecting their energy.

Additionally, it is such a great workout! The morning after an Aikido training I feel so alive and present. Everyone in my dojo, Doshinokai, Culver City, California USA, has been supportive, helpful and friendly.

I hope to learn more about Aikido by participating in this forum.

Take care,
JIm

ryback
08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello!

My name is Jim Cowgill; and at age 51, I have just started my first Aikido sessions. This is my first experience in martial arts as well.

I love Aikido's philosophy of harmony. As a psychotherapist, I appreciate the concept of meeting someone where they are and redirecting their energy.

Additionally, it is such a great workout! The morning after an Aikido training I feel so alive and present. Everyone in my dojo, Doshinokai, Culver City, California USA, has been supportive, helpful and friendly.

I hope to learn more about Aikido by participating in this forum.

Take care,
JIm

Hello Jim and welcome.It's always nice for me to hear that a new person has joined an aikido dojo i hope you'll enjoy it.It's also nice that you joined the forum as well but always remember that aikido is learned on the mats so the most important thing is practice.I think that from my experience this is the best advice i can offer to a newcomer.Welcome once again!:)

SeiserL
08-06-2011, 04:52 PM
As a fellow psychotherapist from the OC/LA area (now in GA) who started AIkido at 44 (16 years ago), welcome.

Jim Cowgill
08-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Yannis,
That is a good point about learning Aikido on the mat.
Thank you,
Jim

Jim Cowgill
08-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi Lynn,

Great to hear from another psychotherapist. A therapist I respect recommended I take some form of Martial Arts, and it was another colleague who suggested Aikido. I'm glad I have started.

Take care,
Jim