PDA

View Full Version : Aikido in real life

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

lbb
07-17-2011, 09:30 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=16912955

Carsten Möllering
07-18-2011, 06:35 AM
Where is the aikido? :confused:

Mary Eastland
07-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks Mary...that was awesome!

Mary Eastland
07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Once Ron and I were riding our bikes in the cemetary I turned in front of Ron and he lost his balance. He fell off his bike and had to run very fast, with short steps and then he did a big roll coming up just short of a tombstone. It was one of those moments that happens fast but it was amazing. His big roll saved him from injury.

lbb
07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

It's a joke, Carsten, a joke. Next time I'll use smileys for the baseball-deprived among us.

(and honestly, if you ever see me seriously posting a thread named something as pompous and ponderous as "Aikido in real life", please take away the koolade and call the deprogrammers)

graham christian
07-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Maybe you'd like this one better.

http://youtu.be/n-fT4fcLulk

graham christian
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Here's some real life too
http://youtu.be/BrylhtH3tjE

Carsten Möllering
07-19-2011, 06:17 AM
It's a joke, Carsten, a joke. Next time I'll use smileys for the baseball-deprived among us.
I'm sorry. Please excuse my question. I didn't mean to be disrespectfull. I simply didn't recognize anything looking like aikido in the video.

It was only when I read the post of Mary that I realized you could refer to the summersault.

Our ukemi looks quite different.
Same problem with the bear. Maybe embarrassing for me, but I simply don't understand why someone names his playing around aiki jo?

lbb
07-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm sorry. Please excuse my question. I didn't mean to be disrespectfull. I simply didn't recognize anything looking like aikido in the video.

That's because it was a joke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke). Jokes are not meant to be taken literally. If you take them literally, you will often find that they are not literally true.

RonRagusa
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
The OP may have intended posting the video as a joke, but consider: Ben Revere had no intention of performing that roll. He stumbled and had he not had a modicum of mind body coordination would have landed flat on his face. Is Aikido not about cultivating mind body coordination? People who get stuck thinking that Aikido is only about learning techniques to overcome opponents miss the larger point of training which is to be able to take what we learn on the mat and apply that knowledge to the broader context of daily life. And even though Ben Revere may have had zero Aikido training, he nevertheless applied Aikido ukemi very effectively.

Ron

lbb
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm extremely sorry I ever posted it. Never again on this website, I swear to God.

Carsten Möllering
07-19-2011, 10:33 AM
I think you would have had some fun seeing me watching the clip again and again, looking for but not getting the payoff(?) of the joke.
I just didn't consider the role, didn't see it or "connect" it. :blush:

But: In our dojo I'm known as "snobbish" and as someone who laughs very much and about everything - except aikido. ... :rolleyes:

:o So please: I apologize again. My fault! And me being humorless (regarding aikido only).
Never say never ...

RonRagusa
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I think you would have had some fun seeing me watching the clip again and again, looking for but not getting the payoff(?) of the joke.
I just didn't consider the role, didn't see it or "connect" it. :blush:

I don't know Carsten, I didn't find it particularly humorous either. It was a helluva good big roll however. Have the average 20 or 30 something take a header like that while going full tilt and in most cases you're going to be scraping noses, teeth and other body parts off the pavement.

Ron