View Full Version : Hi Everybody

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Hello everyone,
My name is Dan Nakagawa...nicknamed 'danimal' by my friends. I just began studying Aikido in the las few months. I work in the IT division of a major multinational bank. I'm 42--a bit late in the game, but give me time...I'll try and keep up.
I live and work in Tokyo Japan, and attend the Higashi Murayama branch of the Kobayashi dojo chain of schools. I figured that while I am here I might as well learn, and learn from the place where it all started. Also the fact that the guy that helped me GET the IT position at the multinational bank agreed to help me get the job if I started taking Aikido might have something to do with it too....
I think what I like most about Aikido is that it isn't competetive...the only individual that you are competing against is yourself. I like the fact that the emphasis is more on technique than it is on breaking someone's head (heck, if I wanted to do that, I know the perfect martial art...I believe it's called "swinging a Baseball bat"--just kidding.

Anyway, thank you for letting me sit in a chat

See Ya online

Greg Jennings
06-11-2002, 07:51 PM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to aikido and welcome to AikiWeb.

Best Regards,

06-12-2002, 04:34 AM
Hi Dan!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a bit curious - what is needed to get an IT-job in Japan ? I am thinking about such things as education, language abilities and working experience.

I would also like to know what kind of technologies it would likely involve working with ?

Not that I'm about to leave right now, but one day I might concider it - if I can talk my wife into it. However if I were to go to the Tokyo area, then I would most certainly start practicing in one of the dojo's under Nishio shihan - if they would let me :D

I am currently working as a programmer/designer and systems analyst in a scandinavian IT-company, and I speak (and write - duh! ;)) a half decent english.

06-12-2002, 05:20 AM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to Aikido !! :D
You are very lucky to work in Japan, and learn Aikido at the source.

Nice to meet you

Best regards,

Have fun
:ai: :ki: :do:

Bruce Baker
06-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Well, my friend, I know exactly what it is like to start Aikido in your early forties, as I also am a late starter.

You have the advantage of having experience in obsevation of many details, along with comparison of technique from a less volitile emotional state, unlike our younger compatriots who are still driven by excessive reproductive instincts, and seek self gratification from showing their expertise.

As one animal to another, remember to play nice with the other children.

If you have had any kind of martial arts training, you are really going to enjoy the easy beginning practice of Aikido which can be stepped up to a very difficult practice as you learn to use ukemi to its rebounding effect to turn the tables at the slightest opening.

Remember to keep up with your diet, vitamins, and lots of stretching ... that will make a big difference as your older body requires a little more maintenence than the younger practitioners in their 20s and 30s.

Come back in a month, and tell us what you think of your first month of classes?

Welcome to the forum.

06-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums! I'm glad to see you're already joining into the other threads here. I hope you'll find everybody here friendly, open, and respectful and that you'll continue to share your experience with us.

-- Jun