View Full Version : Aikido and Practical Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Robert Koga's Practical Aikido techniques and approach, and if so your thoughts? Thanks.

Michael Hackett
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Koga Sensei's Practical Aikido is intended for the street cop and has very little relationship to the regular practice of Aikido. He has taken some of the techniques and movement of traditional Aikikai Aikido and made it simpler for police officers to understand and apply.

It is wonderful stuff and very effective, but generally won't be too welcome in most dojo and regular training. I was trained originally in Koga-based defensive tactics in the academy and have used his stuff for years - it is still the basis for a lot of the approved DT actions here in California almost 40 years after he developed it. My son is a Koga instructor and I recently attended one of Koga Sensei's seminars.

I have the highest regard for Bob Koga and Practical Aikido - by all means buy his video set and experiment with what he teaches. Just don't confuse it with more traditional dojo Aikido. If you ever get the chance to train directly with him, DO IT! He generally only teaches police personnel, but sometimes will put on a seminar for civilians. As a teacher he is clear, concise and entertaining.