PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oregon

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ethanthej
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi there - just started training with the Oregon Ki Society a couple of weeks ago, and finding the whole art of Aikido fascinating and a hell of a lot of fun. It's the first martial art I've ever seriously taken (I did karate as a small child, but only for a summer, I think, I don't really remember.)

In any event, hello, greetings, and all that.

Janet Rosen
06-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the fun!

akiy
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Ethan,

Welcome to AikiWeb and to aikido.

-- Jun

Larry Cuvin
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi Ethan, welcome to the dojo. I have not been back since due to my lower back condition but am in core training to help on my back issues. I should be back soon.

ninjaqutie
06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Welcome (from another fellow Oregonian) :) I've not dabbled in your style of aikido, but I would like to give it shot eventually just to see how different it is.

ronin67
07-12-2011, 02:34 AM
Hi there - just started training with the Oregon Ki Society a couple of weeks ago, and finding the whole art of Aikido fascinating and a hell of a lot of fun. It's the first martial art I've ever seriously taken (I did karate as a small child, but only for a summer, I think, I don't really remember.)

In any event, hello, greetings, and all that.

Welcome my fellow KI Aikido practioner. Tabata Sensei is one of the best. I studied under his father (Seichi Tabata Sensei) when I was a member of the Honolulu KI Society (1996-2000). I learned so much in those 4 Years. At the time the training was very intense and very hard, but looking back now, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. It was a honor learning from one of Tohei Sensei's original student's
when he first started Shin Shin Toitsu after breaking away from Aikikai Aikido. The key to success will be the proper employment and focusing/extending of KI. Something not easily learned, but once you start to understand it, the different waza techniques will flow more smoothly.

I never truly understood how important KI was until we invited some Aikikai Aikido practitioners from Japan to our dojo. When training was done, they expressed how much deeper a understanding they obtained from just that four hour session of Training in KI Aikido. All four of these students were shodan and above in the Aikikai Aikido style. When I talked to the one lady off to the side, she stated KI was not stressed on that level in Aikikai. Since returning to Japan, I have watched some Aikikai Practioners at my local gym and can see the different waza applications. Some of the waza seem like they do resist and interrupt the flow of the attacks as compared to flowing with the attacker. A very interesting difference, yet still very different then KI Aikido. Not saying KI Aikido is better than Aikikai, just stressed differently in the importance of KI. Anyway enough of my rant, have a great time with the Oregon KI Society.

May God Bless,

Ed:)