PDA

View Full Version : returning to training

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

inframan
06-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm new to the board, I joined up because I'm thinking of returning to Aikido. Its been about 14 years but I had trained for a little over a year and was 5th kyu, started to work on 4th. I did a semester overseas in college and our sensei moved about the time I got back and I just wasn't into it much after that.

My son recently turned 3 and I started researching to see if he could take a martial arts class. What I came up with is that he's happy in his gymnastics class for now but I need to get out and get some exercise and be a part of a Aikido again. I usually spend my nights on the sofa watching old kung fu movies so I plan on giving a night or two to class.

Diana Frese
06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
That's why I joined Aiki Web last fall, and people were very kind encouraging me to start training again, so I'm passing on the favor.

I know you will enjoy it!

I'm getting my husband to train with me until we can visit dojos again (weird work schedule and other stuff)
I've cooked for him for decades, ( we did the tv couch potato thing too,) and I was gofer for his carpentry company, so now I asked him to help me practice!

ninjaqutie
06-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Welcome back

JW
06-25-2011, 12:24 AM
I hope you find a good dojo and enjoy getting back into training. Say hi to Ultraman for me, Inframan!

abraxis
06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Inframan, get off the couch and do some shopping around. Observe classes at a few different dojos in your area, take a few trial classes, seek out a sensei you can connect with. Stop thinking about it and do it.

inframan
06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I went to a class and met the sensei. I tried to show up at the end of class just to talk but an advanced class was starting up and he had me join in. The dojo is independent and shares the space with a Judo club and Tae Kwan Do class.

He encouraged me to check out other Aikido schools in the area, I think I will but honestly I find them all too expensive. Most of the other schools in my area keep thier own space and rent isnt cheap. I've noticed that the places that share space with other schools or gymastics gyms are much more affordable. Also since its a gymnastics place I might be able to work it out where my kid could go to his class at the same time, might even get my wife to join Aikido too.

abraxis
06-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I went to a class and met the sensei. I tried to show up at the end of class just to talk but an advanced class was starting up and he had me join in. The dojo is independent and shares the space with a Judo club and Tae Kwan Do class.

He encouraged me to check out other Aikido schools in the area, I think I will but honestly I find them all too expensive. Most of the other schools in my area keep thier own space and rent isnt cheap. I've noticed that the places that share space with other schools or gymastics gyms are much more affordable. Also since its a gymnastics place I might be able to work it out where my kid could go to his class at the same time, might even get my wife to join Aikido too.

Great! You're on your way! Enjoy the Journey!:)