PDA

View Full Version : My story

Please visit our sponsor:

Duffy
06-22-2011, 07:43 AM
First of all, this is the second time I have tried to write this. I'm not real good at typing and things seem to just disappear all of a sudden and I have to do things again..
Well I was introduced to Aikido in high school (63-67). I had been taking Judo and I was very familiar with dojo protocol so the step into Aikido was very good feeling. I was a bit on the heavy side and Karate just didn't fit my nature. The man that introduced me to Aikido was Bill Shieven. He lived in a small community in So. Cal. called Gillman Hot Springs. Bill started my training off with the Zen side of Aikido. He said "you must learn to control your feelings and temper before you can control others". I remember at the time I had long hair as many did. The first thing Bill did was take me on a 2 mils run down to a local barber shop for a haircut. I mentioned to him that O-Sensei had long hair, He promptly told me that as soon as I got as good as he was I could have long hair too.
I studied Aikido passionately till April 68 when I went into the Army.
I'll quit here and finish this later.
I have kept Aikido (in spirit) with me my whole life. I have had some health situations and don't practice any more but would love to get back into it. I have contacted a couple of dojos near where I live and do plan to add to my commitment.
THANKS TO ALL
Duffy

guest1234567
06-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Hi Duffy,
I hope you'll find a good dojo nearby and continue with your training. Maybe one day you are allowed to have long hair again;)

akiy
06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi Marvin,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun