View Full Version : Snobbery

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-19-2011, 11:21 AM
This is an interesting article in that it not only applies to Koryu.

By Dave Lowry

07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
That was a pretty good read. Thanks for sharing. :)

07-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Very interesting! Thanks David.

graham christian
07-07-2011, 01:38 AM
That's quite a good article, nice one.

I feel it all boils down to a part of ego. That part that seems to have an insatiable need to feel superior to.

Tim Ruijs
07-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Ok that took some time to read, but indeed very interesting!

To simply accept change is hard, to accept something is different is hard.
Turning their backs on their own culture, they are attempting to satisfy inner needs by embracing a foreign one.

One must try and understand the culture (and time) in which the art was developed in order to comprehend it. I feel this aspect does not get the attention it should...that is not to say one should adopt (to) it...

thanks, great input :D

07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
It's an old article and Dave expressed the situation many in Koryu encounter. I have never encountered someone who has seriously trained in a koryu- leaving for modern weapons, it is always the other way around. Once you see and experience the depth of Koryu, many things pale in comparison. It's rather sad to have to hide that fact, apologize for it or adopt some sort of PC rhetoric to soften the stark reality of what you know or face being called a snob. In todays world everyone demands that their efforts be treated as if they are equal to everyone. There is little room for methods that are indeed superior as judged by certain standards, heck there is a push-back to the idea of any standards even being set in the first place.

Rabih Shanshiry
07-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Once you see and experience the depth of Koryu, many things pale in comparison.

Hi Dan,

Would you say this applies to few, some, most or all of the koryu extant today?

Has that depth been preserved across the board or to have modern influences such as iaido and kendo undermined the original body methods and movement of these schhols?

Joe McParland
07-09-2011, 09:49 AM
If you create a gap, you fall into it.
Masakatsu agatsu and all that jazz :-)