View Full Version : Hi Everybody!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
I apologize in advance if this introduction turns out to be of the lengthy sort, as i am not to good at keeping things like these brief.

I am really happy to have become a member of what looks like a great forum and community. I had pretty much given up the hope of practicing a martial art. I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and allthough my CP is pretty "light" compared to some others with the same diagnosis it gives me some physical limitations. But I can walk and run (alltho not fast compared to normal people) and my feet support me for the time being and thats pretty good. I had always dreamed of practicing martial art since I was a kid so it was pretty dissapointing when i was turned down by the Karate dojo's in my area (Thats the only martial art practiced close to me). So I accepted the fact that i couldnt practice a martial art and moved on to other things.

But then I discovered Aikido (hence my reason for joining). I had heard of the art before briefly and have of course seen my fair share of Seagal movies. :) But it wasn't until i happened to come across an article linked to on here about a girl with CP that practiced aikido that i started researching it further, and I am hopefull that I may actually have found "my" martial art.

I am moving to Portsmouth, UK either in september this year or some time next year. And i saw there were 2 dojos there that teach aikido. If anyone has any experience with any of them id love to hear it. Of course I am still not sure if I can take any classes there but I hope so. In the meantime ill soak up the information i can here and contribute in any way
Sigh, it seems i have managed to write a small novel yet again, but if anyone actually bothered to read the whole thing, then kudos! :)

05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Hi Alexander,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb. I hope you find a good aikido dojo that works for you when you move.

-- Jun

Janet Rosen
05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Alex, with your attitude, any dojo that rejects you isn't worth your time and effort! Best of luck, and keep us posted.

05-31-2011, 05:43 PM
@Jun: Thanks alot, glad to be here
@Janet: Hehe thanks, I hope you are right, :)

Helle Buvik
05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
hello Alexsander and wellcome to the forums :)

Not sure if you have this link or not already. http://www.aikido.no It's for the Norsk aikido forbund. maybe there is some information there about any aikido near where you are now?

06-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi Alex,
I hope you'll find a good dojo with nice collegues and if you practice aikido regularly you will enjoy and improve a lot.Do you have your novel in a blog? I'd like to read it.
I hope everything goes well for you,
Good luck

06-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Gracias Carina!
I don't have a blog at the moment, but I did have one before, and I've been meaning to start it up again so maybe now is a good time. I'll be sure to read your blog though, it will be good for practicing my Spanish aswell. :)

06-01-2011, 08:20 AM
De nada;)
Is your novel in norwegian? or in english and what is the topic of it?
Of course we could write in spanish in the foreign languages spanish thread if you'd like to practice.

06-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Well actually when I said I had manage to write a small novel I ment that I had written to much in my post, as I have a tendency to do that sometimes. :)
That being said, I am actually working on an actual novel from time to time when I feel like it. I'm about 1//3 done with it. Its a rather dark crime/thriller novel, but it is in Norwegian so not many would understand it, and I havent gotten around to translating it into any other languages yet, but maybe when I am done, and if it is any good I will.

Sure, writing on the spanish section would be great practice, I will jump in there when i feel confident enough to conversate on a semi decent level Spanish is still quite new to me, but I am loving the language thus far. :)