PDA

View Full Version : Aikido and the World Cup

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jim23
06-07-2002, 05:48 PM
I really don't have any way to tie aikido into the World Cup, however, I thought it would be nice to start a thread as no one else has. :D

Wicked ukemi!

My favourite matches so far (that I can remember) have been:

England vs Argentina
Ireland vs Germany
Spain vs Uraguay
Cameroon was good too

Jim23

Jorx
06-09-2002, 02:16 PM
To my great surprise Japan plays very well.
Belgium-Japan (2:2 draw) was one of the best games till now IMHO!

Japan is my new favourite team! (After Portugal got their arse kicked by USA:) )

Does anyone know why one of the Japanes guys wears such a weird mask?

Jorgen

Jim23
06-09-2002, 05:12 PM
I saw some of their match against Russia, but didn't see the end. Do you know who won?

There were 24 free kicks before half time.

Jim23

batemanb
06-26-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Jorx

Does anyone know why one of the Japanes guys wears such a weird mask?

Jorgen

He has/ had a broken nose.

THe whole world cup has been a revelation, what with many of the big boys getting their backsides kicked and dumped early ("don`t cry for me Argentina...."). Amazing to see them all take it so badly too (thinking Italy here, and as for Perugia sacking their Korean player after he scored against Italy, may they fall to the bottom of their lowest league and disappear into administration). Japan did better than expected, Korea were excellent, although a bit lucky at times, Senegal, fantastic. Can`t remember when I enjoyed a world cup so much, being here and being able to watch nearly every game was cool too, couldn`t buy tickets for love nor money though.

On the down side, England choked as they usually do, could have been so much better. Germany had the easiest run to the final any one has ever had, and Brazil no longer shine because of their blatant "gamesmanship". Now got a Brazil - Germany final, and I have lost all interest in it, good job I have to uke at a grading on Sunday, don`t feel bad about missing it at all (not sure what I would have done if England had made it though:D )

Jim23
06-27-2002, 08:33 AM
Lost interest?

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the final on the weekend (also will watch Korea vs Turkey).

It will be great to see Brasil get back to the basics again with the three "Rs". :)

It was a Korean player that wore the mask.

Jim23

Jorx
06-27-2002, 08:44 AM
There were maskwearers in both teams (at least). Anyhow Brazil vs. Germany ... yup... lost all interest in it. It could also be called The Ugly vs. The Ugly. Or The Gigaarrogant Superstars vs. The Ornung muss Sein. OR The Fancy Fancy Selfish Tricksters Failing vs. The Most Boring (Schematic) Football ever etc etc...

My not so humble opinion:)

Jorgen

P.S. I would say 1:0 Germany wins... but that is just a thought.

batemanb
06-27-2002, 05:45 PM
There was also a Corean who wore a mask later in the competition, but Miyamoto, the Japanese captain has worn one from the beginning to protect his broken nose.

I chose the word "gamesmanship" for Brazil, but Jorx`s description about sums up my feelings too. As for Germany, I think they have one of the best goalkeepers in the world, I think they will edge it, but I definately won`t be watching. I will watch the Corean`s play Turkey tomorrow night though.

sceptoor
06-28-2002, 12:28 AM
What's the "world cup"??

:D

PeterR
06-28-2002, 01:22 AM
How very American of you :p

Bigger than the olympics - entire nations go into mourning, wars are declared, referee's mothers are insulted. In other words the biggest thing since sliced bread.

Originally posted by sceptoor
What's the "world cup"??

:D

Jim ashby
06-28-2002, 03:28 AM
Ah yes..the world cup. It's not quite like the world series in.....err baseball I believe it's called. The main difference between the two is that the WHOLE world is invited to participate in the world cup.
I'm not a football fan btw.
Have fun.

Jim23
06-28-2002, 09:25 AM
It's football where they actually use their feet - what a concept.

It's one of the few times that Korea, Brasil, Japan, etc. actually do the same art - the individual style of each team/player may differ though, depending on their coach's interpretation of the game. :D

Some players actually fall without being touched by another (personally, I think they dive), this usually results in a player being awarded a yellow card (red cards are more dangerous than yellow, but I prefer when there are no colour cards in a game).

The German goalie is a beast.

Jim23

Lyle Bogin
06-28-2002, 02:15 PM
I wish they played like in Shaolin Soccer. If you have not seen this film I give it the highest recommendation. It is circulating through Asia and should hit the states by the fall or next summer (dvd available at your local chinatown)..not sure about Europe, UK, etc.

official chinese site:

http://shaolin.mata.com.tw/index2.htm

here is a review that matches my opinion:

http://www.opuszine.com/movie_reviews/?view=review&reviewID=126

Jim23
06-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Hmmm ...

Zhao plays Mui, a disfigured pastry chef who uses tai chi to make the perfect bread.

... One has a head of iron, another can use his stomach muscles to propel the ball with great force. There's the 300 pound monk who can walk on air, and the monk whose acrobatic skills would make Kurt Thomas green with envy. And then there's the goalie, whose Bruce Lee impersonation is almost eerie to watch, and who can can stop any shot.

I think some of them are already playing in the world cup. :D

Jim23

batemanb
06-29-2002, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Jim23
Some players actually fall without being touched by another (personally, I think they dive

No, no, definately not, it`s kokyu waza :rolleyes: except when it comes to Rivaldo :D

IrimiTom
07-01-2002, 02:07 PM
My admiration goes to Brazil and their record 5 time world champions...
Bet you're really proud, aren't you Kami? :)

Pretoriano
07-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Well The Braziliams went Invict through the cup matches, Their are 5 Time World Champions,
their just grab the cup and putt it back on America, CONGRATULATIONS!! Braziliams showed the world one more time where the best soccer is played.

Kami
07-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by IrimiTom
My admiration goes to Brazil and their record 5 time world champions...
Bet you're really proud, aren't you Kami? :)

KAMI : Nice kids, weren't they?:rolleyes: