PDA

View Full Version : Hope you have a sense of humor

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

thomson
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Check out

www.engrish.com

And don't complain about it being racist or derogatory to the Japanese, its just good clean fun. And pretty darn funny! :D

Mike

Duarh
06-06-2002, 01:41 PM
i think (but am not 100% sure) that i've seen this link in this forum before

deepsoup
06-06-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Duarh
i think (but am not 100% sure) that i've seen this link in this forum before

Yep.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=986.

Sean
x

Duarh
06-06-2002, 01:50 PM
though now that i look at it again, it AGAIN has me doubled over. Some of the things there. . .are worth reading :)

thomson
06-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Look in the section called "Engrish from you" there's a comic strip that Jun sent in. I couldn't figure it out.

Mike :D

Duarh
06-06-2002, 02:12 PM
mita, mita, but I WAS a bit confused as to the purpose of it

batemanb
06-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Something that I noticed from the first time I started coming to Japan back in 95. Always meant to do something about it(photos, book or some such) but never did. Engrish.com beat me to it. Having said that, I (as I am sure do many other westerners over here) see it on an almost daily basis. I have now started recording it (only that which I actually see) and adding an Engrish lesson to my regular letter back to my UK dojo. I spotted the last lesson on the back of a T-shirt, it was an absolute peach. Let me know if you can figure it out:confused:

"I wanna know in my sight your hair spreading out"

akiy
06-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Turning this back to aikido, I remember a story a friend of mine related to me a while back.

She trained at a fairly traditional aikido dojo and, one night, a visitor from Japan stopped by the dojo to train. He had brought with him a letter of recommendation, was very polite, and otherwise quite courteous.

He was, however, wearing a T-shirt that loudly proclaimed, "Too drunk to f---" (uncensored, of course).

They didn't say anything to him about the T-shirt...

-- Jun

batemanb
06-27-2002, 12:26 AM
Saw an attractive young lass just yesterday on the Tokyo subway wearing a T-shirt proudly sporting "F--- Me" (also uncensored) on it.

SeiserL
06-27-2002, 10:23 AM
I believe that it is always important not to take ourselves, or our lives too personal or too serious.

Until again,

Lynn

Jim ashby
06-27-2002, 10:38 AM
I agree that we should not take ourselves too seriously. I was recently involved in a celebration training session as a visiting Nidan. Those that hadn't met me socially before were somewhat at a loss for something to say regarding my "nobody knows I'm a lesbian" T shirt. As a 17st mustachioed father of two it was a source of a few furrowed brows. anyway, my signoff says it all.
Have fun

Choku Tsuki
06-27-2002, 05:31 PM
I worked at Simon & Schuster in the 80's. In the Subsidiary Rights department they had posted letters that were inadvertantly funny. one was from a japanese body builder who admired "Pumping Iron" by Arnold Schwarzenegger. He finished up the letter by saying "as for translator, I will be, if you are ok."

Not a real knee slapper but ok withme.

--Chuck