PDA

View Full Version : New Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tedehara
06-04-2002, 01:47 AM
Greetings All,

People mention the creative spirit of Aikido. They write awe inspiring reviews on many Shihans and Sensei. Many report "Good" and "Great" workouts.

BUT...
have any of you seen someone develop a new technique or major variation on a technique?

I'm talking about something that was discovered on-the-spot. Not listed in any Aikido book. Not taught by any Aikido instructor. Totally Original :cool:

How was it developed? What was the circumstance it was used? Try and describe this unique technique. How is this different than other Aikido stuff?

Or...
is Aikido like Ecclesiates Chapter 1:
9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Jan Glembotzki
06-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Hi tedehara!
A new technique? Don't know... if I kick to the face of my opponent before do a kote gaeshi, is it a new technique? Perhaps it's taken from taekwondo, so it's not BRANDnew...or? :) O-sensei said, at first there are 16 techniques, and each one has 3000 variations. And in any situation you (can) create new ones. Good luck ;)

Greetings
Jan

SeiserL
06-04-2002, 09:48 AM
IMHO, no one has created a new primary color but thers is certainly new art. No one has created a new letter of the alphabet but there is certainly new literature. It is the combination of the established colors and letters that is the creative art.

New Aikido? Everytime I step on the mat it seem new to me.

Until again,

Lynn

fjcsuper
06-04-2002, 11:35 AM
I think somebody might already have created a new technique where the circumstance is upon seeing many attackers, it can be applied. It is called the " Run like hell waza " :D
Hell, you might even need to run a long way if such things happen. ( See the pic )

Just kidding

:ai: :ki:

Don_Modesto
06-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by SeiserL
No one has created a new letter of the alphabet but there is certainly new literature. It is the combination of the established...letters that is the creative art.

Yes!-what HE said.

Terrific answer.

Originally posted by tedehara
have any of you seen someone develop a new technique or major variation on a technique?I'm talking about something that was discovered on-the-spot. Not listed in any Aikido book.

As per above, "Not listed in any Aikido book" is not really germane to the enterprise. I "created" and discovered IRIMI KOKYU NAGE one night in my karate dojo sparring with a fellow who threw a commited jab. It was already in the books, though. Same with the desperate TENKAN I discovered when my instructor drove a spinning back kick at my solar plexus.