PDA

View Full Version : Liberal vs Conservative Brains- Hot off the press!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Marc Abrams
04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110411/pl_yblog_theticket/will-president-obama-and-the-house-gop-ever-agree-science-suggests-no

So what does this data really say ;) ?

Marc Abrams

Dave de Vos
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
In the Netherlands, liberals and conservatives get along fairly well, both being right wing mostly.

Keith Larman
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Hmmm, what is that I smell... Gas... Matches... I think I'll step away now.

I still remember dealing with the farce that was the "Bell Curve" book. Pop in your protective gear now...

Mark Freeman
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
mmm, I sense the lid being taken off of a can of worms....

at least the universal get out clause is being invoked > its authors caution that more research needs to be done on the subject!..

Demetrio Cereijo
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110411/pl_yblog_theticket/will-president-obama-and-the-house-gop-ever-agree-science-suggests-no

Marc Abrams

Lets see

Using data from MRI scans, researchers at the University College London....

Ah, Brits...

oisin bourke
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM
In the Netherlands, liberals and conservatives get along fairly well, both being right wing mostly.

Heh! Very good!

abraxis
06-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Marc Abrams

Marc,

Nothing personal, you're just posing a question, but:
Let's not confuse cause and effect. And never forget that physiological correlates of observable behaviors are just that--correlates. Nor should we forget that researchers have to make a living too and may rush to promote their preliminary results as a way of attracting grant $$$. And besides, this researcher doesn't seem to be in a position to evaluate the effects of learning and experience on the brain structures in question. And, to go further, these two structures may only be two of many which may, or may not, play a role in the complex system of behaviors under discussion. I could continue but I'm going to stop now because my two and a half pound computer mass-produced by unskilled labor is at risk of frying a fuse when it has to deal with the crappy neuromythology so prevalent today. :grr: ;)

RT

DH
06-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Marc Abrams
That acoording to a "study" funded by company b. , Celebrex ( a drug produced by rival company a.) will kill you, while its chemically related sister drug (produced by comany b) will not.

That New York times was all over a breaking story that Enron was bribing Republicans!!! Calls for investigations....
Until it was discovered Enron was paying off both sides of the aisle equally!
Story sort of vanishedfrom major media for a while, till stories could be spun.

I love the need people have to categorize...why you'd think someone with a liberal mind that understands " complexity" would see how ridiculous that truly is.;)
Have a nice day
Dan

Marc Abrams
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Folks,

JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The great irony with what these knuckle heads did was to confirm what most independent-minded people say "DUH" to. The Republicscums strength/weakness is that they play to the emotions of the voters. The Democraps strength/weakness is that they play to the intellect of the voters.

How much money did those researchers waste letting us know what was obvious already?

Marc Abrams

abraxis
06-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Folks,

JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The great irony with what these knuckle heads did was to confirm what most independent-minded people say "DUH" to. The Republicscums strength/weakness is that they play to the emotions of the voters. The Democraps strength/weakness is that they play to the intellect of the voters.

How much money did those researchers waste letting us know what was obvious already?

Marc Abrams

Yes, I got that you were pointing to another laughable example of unnecessary research taken from the realm of neuromythology but I chose to take it seriously and that's my problem and I shouldn't try to make it yours. But an MRI is an expensive piece of technology and once your institution has bought one, well, you know about the little kid who's just received their first toolbox and all it has in it is a hammer...:)