PDA

View Full Version : Aikido books

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

GB-UK
03-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I've just completed reading Complete Aikido by Roy Suenaka and was wondering if anyone could recommend any similar books? I'm not looking for instructional books but ones about people's experiences of training in aikido itself. I've also read angry White pyjamas as well and am currently reading A Life in Aikido. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Takahama
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Aikido Pioneers - Prewar Era
Stanley Pranin

ISBN 978-4-904464-17-5

Highly recommended.

crbateman
03-27-2011, 07:13 PM
The aforementioned book by Stanley Pranin is a good recommendation. The book is packed with historical info from and about many who are no longer with us. Otherwise, for UK focus, get Positive Aikido by Dave Rogers and Henry Ellis. There is a bunch of other stuff, from students and teachers of all Aikido "flavors", and rather than try to include everything here, I would suggest that you browse the Bibliography section over at aikidojournal.com. It is very comprehensive, and all listings have at least a brief summary, and can be searched by specifically what type of content is contained.

GB-UK
03-28-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the replies will look into those books mentioned. Will also check out the website mentioned aswell!
I've looked for a copy of Positive Aikido and would like a copy but its pretty expensive (although not through the US version of Amazon which won't allow me to purchase it) I think I read some where that you could get it for 10 plus p&p but cannot remember where I saw it! Will continue looking though!!

Richard Stevens
03-28-2011, 08:58 AM
These are not Aikido specific, but I just finished Dave Lowry's Autumn Lighting and started Persimmon Wind and have really enjoyed them. You get an inside look at budo training (specifically Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjutsu) with a good deal of history mixed in.

lbb
03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Second Autumn Lightning and Persimmon Wind, particularly the former. Not about aikido at all, but a great read for any martial artist.

Mark Uttech
03-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Onegaishimasu, "Aikido in America" edited by John Stone and Ron Meyer is composed of interviews with two generations of American martial artists. Some of them trained in Japan with the Founder, and the book also focuses on different styles that have come from senior students who trained at the Hombu.

In gassho,
Mark

chillzATL
03-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Suenaka's book is a great read. You'll enjoy any of Pranin's books, or just get the back issue DVD, tons of stuff in there. I also think Shioda has a biography type book that you'd enjoy.

Mark Peckett
03-28-2011, 01:03 PM
It's A Lot Like Dancing, by Terry Dobson with beautiful photographs by Jan Watson; and An Obese White Gentleman in No Apparent Distress, partially by Terry himself, and completed by his partner Riki Moss. Both inspirational.

Rabih Shanshiry
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I also think Shioda has a biography type book that you'd enjoy.

It's called "Aikido Shugyo" and I can't recommend the book enough.

It should be required reading...especially for Yoshinkai. A very fun read with great anecdotes...but most importantly, Shioda shares his view of what lies at the heart of Aikido. Hint: it ain't waza.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/bibliography_details?id=134

GB-UK
03-28-2011, 04:49 PM
I've ordered a copy of It's A Lot Like Dancing from amazon for a very reasonable 2.74 including postage! Still looking for the post which had the Positive Aikido book for 10 though, has anyone seen it as I'm sure it was in a thread on this site!

Gorgeous George
03-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know if there's a British seller of Aikido Shugyo? It looks/sounds amazing, and just the kind of thing I need to read.

Hellis
03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I've ordered a copy of It's A Lot Like Dancing from amazon for a very reasonable 2.74 including postage! Still looking for the post which had the Positive Aikido book for 10 though, has anyone seen it as I'm sure it was in a thread on this site!

Hi Gornall

Thank you for your interest in the book " Positive Aikido ".

I had posted on the other book thread that ` Trafford ` the Canadian based publishers of `` Positive Aikido `` have closed their UK office.
This has caused problems this side of the pond. Amazon UK are now charging more than double the true cost. I have contacted them and I just get excuses...I am trying to arrange a supply that I can sell direct to people from home here in the UK, either signed or un-signed as requested.
I am also planning on bringing some books back with me when I visit the USA this year..The book in the USA is approx $18...

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/

GB-UK
03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi Gornall

Thank you for your interest in the book " Positive Aikido ".

I had posted on the other book thread that ` Trafford ` the Canadian based publishers of `` Positive Aikido `` have closed their UK office.
This has caused problems this side of the pond. Amazon UK are now charging more than double the true cost. I have contacted them and I just get excuses...I am trying to arrange a supply that I can sell direct to people from home here in the UK, either signed or un-signed as requested.
I am also planning on bringing some books back with me when I visit the USA this year..The book in the USA is approx $18...

Henry Ellis
Positive Aikido
http://aikido-books.blogspot.com/

Hi, I've just sent you a PM after finding the link on your website! I have tried to buy directly from amazon but they won't ship to a UK address for some reason, I've also noted the very high price that amazon UK are charging in comparison to the US site. I would love to buy a signed copy directly from you when you get a stock to sell if you could keep me in mind for a copy I would be very grateful!

crbateman
03-28-2011, 05:49 PM
I am trying to arrange a supply that I can sell direct to people from home here in the UK, either signed or un-signed as requested.
Ahhh, Sensei... I knew that you would come galloping to the rescue... :p

Cady Goldfield
03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
"Hidden in Plain Sight (Tracing the Roots of Ueshiba Morihei's Power)," by Ellis Amdur, 2009 Edgework (www.edgework.info)

rulemaker
03-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Online book of Yasuo Kobayashi, 8th Dan

http://www.kobayashi-dojo.com/english/book/

GB-UK
03-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Does anyone know if there's a British seller of Aikido Shugyo? It looks/sounds amazing, and just the kind of thing I need to read.

If anyone could point me in the direction of a UK supplier of this aswell I will be very greatful!

Rabih Shanshiry
03-29-2011, 02:07 PM
If anyone could point me in the direction of a UK supplier of this aswell I will be very greatful!

This is the publisher and only source I know for the book in English. I'm pretty sure they will ship worldwide.

http://www.shindokanbooks.com/shugyo.shtml

Hellis
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Ahhh, Sensei... I knew that you would come galloping to the rescue... :p

Arhhh Clark

My son Rik will be with me as he is meeting a MMA promoter in NM. He is a powerful lad and capable of carrying a bag full of books back to the UK :) This old brain is still active .....

Take care

Henry Ellis
http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/

GB-UK
03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for that site link!

crbateman
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
If anyone could point me in the direction of a UK supplier of this as well I will be very greatful!There is a used copy currently listed by biblio.co.uk but I think it still ships from the US, so you're going to get hosed for shipping anyway. Try to get the book straight from shindokan, as it's a great read. Shioda Sensei had quite the personality, and it shows in this book.

JW
03-29-2011, 11:53 PM
I second Aikido in America-- it is page after page of established aikidoka recounting stories. Also second Hidden in Plain Sight-- the chapter on Sokaku Takeda is not first hand stories of course, but it is extremely powerful.
If you like a more new-agey/spiritual type of point of view, Wendy Palmer's The Intuitive Body is interesting.

GB-UK
03-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Is this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiritual-Journey-Gozo-Shioda/dp/4770031491/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301488650&sr=1-4) a retitled copy of Aikido Shugyo?

crbateman
03-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Is this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiritual-Journey-Gozo-Shioda/dp/4770031491/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301488650&sr=1-4) a retitled copy of Aikido Shugyo?I don't think so. I believe that, like Aikido Shugyo, it's an English release (not yet available) of an earlier Japanese composition, but not the same content.

Rabih Shanshiry
03-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Is this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aikido-Spiritual-Journey-Gozo-Shioda/dp/4770031491/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301488650&sr=1-4) a retitled copy of Aikido Shugyo?

Nice find - although I don't particularly care for the title. Shioda was not particularly spiritual (by his account) and I think they added that as a marketing play more than anything.

That book looks like its pretty much going to be a retitled copy of Aikido Shugyo as you suggest. The same translators are credited. It will have 288 pages compared to Shugyo's 207 so there will be some additional content. I doubt the additional content will be previously unpublished portions of Shioda's autobiography but I would love to be wrong.

My advice would be to hold out for the new title - especially as it will be available in the UK sometime this year.

...rab