View Full Version : Training techniques

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Andrew Macdonald
03-25-2011, 10:45 PM
hi there

many arts have training teachniques that are not part of the offical syllabus. Often these training techniques are created or promoted by one teacher or one group. in many of the aikido dojo that i have visited or studied at it seems that people rely mainly on doing the techniques over and over again, while there is nothing very wrong about this approach I wonder has anyone out there developed some nice training teachniques other than the techniques. If so how long do you devote to doing these exercises, either in class or on your own.

Michael Varin
03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I wonder has anyone out there developed some nice training teachniques other than the techniques
This is very ambiguous.

Are you asking about techniques, in the sense of waza, or training methods?

To me these are two very different things, with the latter being a much more interesting and important subject.

Larry Feldman
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Tohei emphasized Ki Exercises, which you could look at as movement techniques. They were fundamental - partial movements taken out of Aikido throws and pins.

It is unlikely you will see them in your dojo unless you are in a Ki Society (or former Ki Society) organization. Shifflet has a few books on the subject, and there are some video links to the exercises.

Carsten Möllering
03-28-2011, 01:07 AM
We sometimes practice just creating atari and guiding with atari. Or we just practice. e.g. shomen uchi ki musubi. Or we just do the sabaki, creating kuzushi. Things like that.
But there are no special excercises or training methods apart from the waza.

03-28-2011, 06:23 AM
I hope this is helpful to you. It is from Shodokan (Tomiki) Aikido.