PDA

View Full Version : selling my aikido gi.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

jo_girl_123
03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
hello everyone. I am selling my aikido gi after 4 sessions of aikido because i tore my knee muscle during the last training and the doctor ask me to stop aikido. I want to sell my aikido gi for $30 and if you dont mind it has the aikido badge also. if you want you can take it out and put your own badge,

please contact me at joean_others@hotmail.com if you are interested. My name is joean. Thanks.

Dazzler
03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
hello everyone. I am selling my aikido gi after 4 sessions of aikido because i tore my knee muscle during the last training and the doctor ask me to stop aikido. I want to sell my aikido gi for $30 and if you dont mind it has the aikido badge also. if you want you can take it out and put your own badge,

please contact me at joean_others@hotmail.com if you are interested. My name is joean. Thanks.
better to sell your doctor !

seriously - sorry to hear about your knee...but it may not be the end for you.

Diana Frese
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Dear Joean,

Dazzler is right. And if I may attempt a little mind reading, I feel that the reason you posted on Aiki Web is that you are hoping for a second opinion. Otherwise you might have just sold it at the dojo unless you didn't want to contact the dojo again. I admit it is a real bummer to have that happen after only four lessons.

I stopped training pretty much after almost exactly twenty years, in 1986, a knee injury not in the dojo, by the way. At the time sports medicine wasn't the big thing it is today, at least in the area where I live. But I realize I could have kept training, in a modified way, and I taught briefly, with no rolling, at an art studio, others who for some reason or other needed a modified practice.
They did very well. Sometimes there are other reasons for stopping training, job changes, family responsibilities etc. which was the case for me.....

Tearing something in the knee is serious, I did not have that problem. But on Aiki Web you will find people sharing their experiences and advice. As for myself, my friends are going to help me build my knee up even at this late date, so I will be practicing again. Even if I don't get to do suwari waza, which was kind of my favorite, due to a senpai who took special efforts to teach us. T K Lee at NY Aikikai was always making jokes, he said he had roller skates on his knees, under the hakama....

See who's on Aiki Web in terms of having been there with knee problems, I'll try to find some threads for you, or others may post to this one for you. You could go back and watch, to see if it's something you would like to do in future once your knee heals.
I wouldn't rule it out, if I were you. I'm me, and I'm not ruling it out.

All the best to you, whatever you decide,
Sincerely, Daian from Connecticut

Hellis
03-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Hi Joean

No matter your sport or the hobby you participate in, if you have an injury the doc will advise you to stop, if you had a car accident would you stop driving ? ...It is unusual for a beginner to injure themselves in such a short time...allow your injury to heal, then rebuild the injured muscle with light exercise and good advice from your Sensei.

Good luck

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

SteliosPapadakis
03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
According to my doctor(s) in the past, i ought be dead or handicapped by now!
Yes, i have injured my knees, ankles, shoulders, chin, groin, elbows and head many-many times throughout my life yet it never stopped me trying to become stronger, better and more "mature" in moving about, both in the dojo and in real life situations.
Take some time off, relax, drop all ypur concerns and fears, heal up.
Then do try again!
Be well,
:)

Tony Wagstaffe
03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
I would hazard a guess that we have all suffered injuries in our aikido practice at one time or another.....
Do as these lovely people recommend and it will mend.
It may be that once you have healed, aikido will actually help to strengthen the setback you have experienced....
Believe me I do have that experience.... many times!!
Far too many people give up at the first hurdle then regret their impatience and short sightedness, wishing they had kept it up years later.... Keep your dogi as it will be a reminder that you will resume once you have healed.
I once heard a saying ..... Once your bare feet have entered the dojo, you should not leave, as you risk becoming a weaker person mentally.... I think there is a lot of truth in that....;)

danj
03-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Torn knee after 4 sessions, sorry to hear that, I'd like to hear more about how the injury occurred if that OK? All around the work too often a new student gets injured, never tells anyone, never comes back. Sometimes its jumping in the deep end to early, not having adequate supervision, not being told when to stop/slow down or just the bump and grind of learning ukemi basics. Wether turning on a weighted knee, doing too advanced an ukemi or just plain bad luck etc... its all good food for thought.