PDA

View Full Version : fedor vs silva

Please visit our sponsor:

Mary Eastland
02-20-2011, 08:39 PM
I watched the Fedor /Silva fight last night. How is it fair that Silva weighs 50 pounds more than Fedor? I think they should have a new weight class for super heavy weights.
Mary

Michael Varin
02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I watched the Fedor /Silva fight last night. How is it fair that Silva weighs 50 pounds more than Fedor? I think they should have a new weight class for super heavy weights.
I'm not sure you can ever achieve the fairness you are looking for. No two fighters are exactly equal. 50 pounds is tough to overcome, though. And Bigfoot Silva's ground and pound is scary.

Maybe it would've been more fair if Fedor had "IP/IT/IS." ;)

The time may be coming to split the heavyweight class, which is currently 206-265. There are certainly a number of talented 285 pounders who cut to 265. But I don't think there are quite enough quality fighters to support that weight class yet.

One other option, although I doubt we'll ever see it in professional sports, is fight time only weigh-ins. It might encourage smaller cuts.

Mary Eastland
02-21-2011, 08:36 AM
I agree about the division and weigh-ins....I think Fedor might just have touch of IT ;o) ...he is very relaxed.
Mary

chillzATL
02-21-2011, 08:45 AM
not enough talent to support a SHW division. The time may be coming, but right now it would be a few top guys (spread across several orgs) fighting tubs with poor conditioning. As MMA starts to draw in more elite level athletes we'll probably see more of a need for this, but right now I think the small-ish HW's are just going to have to deal with it.