PDA

View Full Version : Passing of William "Slim" Coyle Sensei

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Posted 2011-02-10 02:44:44 by Joe Curran

I would like to inform the Aikido community of the passing of William "Slim" Coyle Sensei, an early pioneer of Scottish Aikido.
Slim was an all round martial artist having studied karate , Kendo etc and in the early days of Aikido in Scotland played a direct influence in the development of the art.His primary teachers were Chiba Sensei and Saito Sensei.He was also influenced by Sekiya Sensei.As a man he was kind, generous and exceptionally talented , being a author , musician and a wonderful artist. He did a great deal of good in deprived areas of Glasgow in his capacity as a Youth Worker.
He will be sadly missed by all who knew him and i send my condolences to his family and friends at this sad time.
With much sadness and respect, Joe Curran

aikishihan
02-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Condolences and deep sympathy to the family, students and friends of the late William "Slim" Coyle Sensei of Scotland.

May all who knew and interacted with this fine pioneer of Aikido be buoyed by the memories and stories of his impact on their lives, and our beloved art, Aikido.

May you Rest in much deserved Peace, Sensei Coyle.

Janet Rosen
02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Sincere condolences across the miles to his family & students.

Hellis
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Joe

Thank you for your phone call letting me know of the sad loss of William ` Slim ` Coyle . He certainly was a pioneer of Scottish Aikido. I first met Slim on my first visit to Glasgow to teach at Tom Weir's dojo circa 1960...
I have been asked to add the sincere Condolences and deep sympathy to the family, students and friends of " Slim "
from myself ~ Derek Eastman and Haydn Foster.

Rest in Peace Slim

Henry Ellis
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

Chicko Xerri
02-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Our Condolences to all over the departure of yet another Aikido pioneer. May he always be remembered.

Our Respects and Gratitude to Him.

A.K.I. Fudoshin Dojo. Australia

Anth
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
RIP Koyo Sensei.

Demetrio Cereijo
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I enjoyed his posts at MAP. A good book about aikido could be written with them.

My condolences to his family, students and friends.

Andrew Buchanan
02-15-2011, 04:44 AM
It was with great sadness I heard of the passing of Billy Coyle. We started our Aikido together in the 60s in Glasgow and I have many fond memories of the time we spent together in those early years. I met up with him on several occasions over the years as my mother still lived in Glasgow till her death.
My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.
A sad loss.
Andrew Buchanan

Posted 2011-02-10 02:44:44 by Joe Curran

I would like to inform the Aikido community of the passing of William "Slim" Coyle Sensei, an early pioneer of Scottish Aikido.
Slim was an all round martial artist having studied karate , Kendo etc and in the early days of Aikido in Scotland played a direct influence in the development of the art.His primary teachers were Chiba Sensei and Saito Sensei.He was also influenced by Sekiya Sensei.As a man he was kind, generous and exceptionally talented , being a author , musician and a wonderful artist. He did a great deal of good in deprived areas of Glasgow in his capacity as a Youth Worker.
He will be sadly missed by all who knew him and i send my condolences to his family and friends at this sad time.
With much sadness and respect, Joe Curran

tenchunow
03-15-2011, 07:42 AM
So sorry to hear the sad news. Trained with Sensei Coyle for a (too) short period in Glasgow.
I know that he will be greatly missed by his students (past and present).

My sincere condolences to his family, friends and students

Stephen Sinclair

alexander cousland
04-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Sensei Billy Coyle's character and martial side were in balance and he treated everybody with respect.A great Ambassador for Aikido and all Martial Arts. A great loss.