PDA

View Full Version : Training post-hysterectomy?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

lbb
01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm interested in personal perspectives from women aikidoka who have had hysterectomy -- specifically, about how your recovery went. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in mid-November, which went very well, as did my recovery. I was cleared to take ukemi again at four weeks, and things went fine for a while, but lately I'm getting a lot more aches -- very similar to what I had before surgery, when the ginormous fibroids were making everything pretty painful. I'm not sure what to think or what to expect -- I can contact my surgeon, but aikido is sufficiently different from normal activities that I don't think she'll be able to get much guidance. If you've been there, what was your healing like? What sort of timeline are we looking at? And (the question I really want to ask), it does get better eventually...right?

Janet Rosen
01-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Mary I had an abdominal hysterectomy, not laparascopic, October 30 1995 - at 8 weeks I was cleared to drive and at 10 weeks I bowed into a dojo for the first time.
Besides checking in w/ your surgeon, which I would recommend, there may be an issue with the fascia creating pain. The fascia across the abdomen to the front of the hip may be pulling badly as it heals and/or making scar tissue. A PT or body worker should be able to show you how to do self-massage to help this (essentially contralateral and lateral frictional massage across the facia and stretching the anterior hip). I doubt actual internal scar tissue (adhesions within the abdominal cavity) would be forming this early postop although I must say that in terms of laparascopic surgery it is a risk - many of us who had laparascopic tubal ligations in the 1970s had terrible terrible menstrual cramps in the years afterwards and anecdotally it was felt to be related to scar tissue.

lbb
01-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Janet -- I hadn't thought of fascia. I'll see my gyn and try to get a referral to a PT. Hopefully this will help -- class tonight was not hell, but it was definitely heck.

Janet Rosen
01-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Keep me posted - either here or feel free to PM me.