PDA

View Full Version : Survey of Kiai in your dojos

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

thomasgroendal
05-22-2002, 07:14 PM
Okay, here is something I have been thinking about lately.
In aikido I see at least one thing that has been dropped out of Aikido since Osensei died. That would be omoto kyo. I am curious if there are any western dojos which have a focus on Omoto Kyo, but i doubt it.
There are also two other things that I see having petered off, but vary by dojo.
The first is weapons. There are numerous threads about weapons/no weapons all the time, and I have no desire to discuss that here.
:) What I would really like talk about is kiai. :)
1. Who does it in their dojo, and who doesn't?
2. What is the tradition of when, how, where taught by your dojo.
3. My teacher kiaied on occasion vocally and always "silently, through kokyu." Kiai, literaly means a lot of ki, so I guess he was right. I kiai randomly, and have learned mostly from different arts, so my finally question is what do you kiai, (haiya! e-! iei! ho!)
Alrighty, anything to scream about out there?

Jim23
05-22-2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by thomasgroendal
What I would really like talk about is kiai ... so my finally question is what do you kiai, (haiya! e-! iei! ho!)
Alrighty, anything to scream about out there?
I also brought this up a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=932&highlight=kiai

There were some good answers (Whatever happened to Nick?).

Jim23

thomasgroendal
05-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Jim23

I also brought this up a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=932&highlight=kiai

There were some good answers (Whatever happened to Nick?).

Jim23

Thanks!! It was an excellent thread, I will put my input in (and gain your wisdom) there.

Don_Modesto
05-23-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by thomasgroendal
What I would really like talk about is kiai. :)
1. Who does it in their dojo, and who doesn't?
2. What is the tradition of when, how, where taught by your dojo.
4. ....my finally question is what do you kiai, (haiya! e-! iei! ho!)

1. Only me in my present dojo; it gets me dirty looks from the teacher ("JESUS! You scared the **** out of me!") I did it at a seminar, too, and overheard someone suggest that caffeine hereafter be withheld from me.

2. None. Nowhere. I've heard Saotome kiai many times, but few of his students.

Having developed the same questions as yourself a while back (and having used them to very concrete effect in karate), I began playing with kiai and made some interesting discoveries.

First, I found that it takes extraordinary effort to give a hale kiai without crushing UKE/NAGE.

It also makes UKE/NAGE freeze, go stiff, and move in manners dangerous to the continued integrity of body parts immediately within his/her grasp.

4. Mostly I exhale a rising "Ah-aaaaaii!" In karate I used to say "Eit!" timed to end with KIME.