View Full Version : Not practicing

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ali B
05-22-2002, 08:51 AM
Hi guys, this is my first ever post but I have been reading all of yours with interest. I have not been able to practice very much this year (new job and no car).

I feel very disapointed about it, I am used to practicing at least 3 times a week. Can any one tell me what I should do to enhance my aikido life?

If I dont get to practice am I still an aikidoka?

Greg Jennings
05-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ali B
Can any one tell me what I should do to enhance my aikido life?

This is covered somewhat over in the "Beginners Help Please" thread.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=20857#post20857 .

My other advice is to tackle the problem by getting some form of transportation to the dojo.

Best Regards,

Ali B
05-22-2002, 09:47 AM
The problem is not really transport but hours of work clashing with practice time. I have been practicing for 6 years steadily and now feel like Im missing so much.

My teacher is Japanese and I dont know how long Ill be living in Spain, so I want to practice with him as much as possible before going home to the U.K

If I had my way Id give up working and practice every day. I cant do that just yet, so Im just having a good moan about it instead!

Lyle Bogin
05-22-2002, 09:53 AM
If you cannot practice aikido, can you practice something else? When you return to aikido, you will have an expanded foundation of knowledge on which you can build your training.

Ali B
05-22-2002, 10:19 AM
Yes, its finding something else to do. The nearest I can come up with is a salsa (dance) class, Im not sure Im ready for that yet. I live in Spain, so my choices are limited. I dont want to be a cry baby, I miss my aikido so much.

Thanks for your advice, I know others understand the feeling. I shall try to be more positive and take heart that it is not forever.

05-22-2002, 11:37 AM
Condolences on being able to practice. It is very hard to learn Aikido without someone else. You can read, watch videos, and practice the principles (enter & blend, redirect & unbalance, throw or control, let go & move on) in other areas of your life. Practicing the Tenkan footwork to a driving rhythm while maintaing proper alignment helps. Mental rehearsal is used by a lot of athelets during a lay off.

IMHO, there are a lot of people who practice Aikido who are Aikidokas beacuse they have not accept the practice and philosphy as a part of their identity. But, once you are, I guess you are.

Until again,

Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD