PDA

View Full Version : A Daito-Ryu Question

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jakusotsu
05-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Something I've been wondering about for a while....

If one goes to www.daito-ryu.org/kondo.html one can read about Daito-ryu and Kondo Katsuyuki sensei, etc. It says that he has been awarded soke dairi. I can't remember exactly what dairi means.

If one goes to www.daito-ryu.com one gets a very different picture. It is apparently the official website of the honbu Daito-ryu dojo. It says that Takeda Tokimune's daughter has been named soke of Daito-ryu by Tokimune.

Has there been some split or schism in Daito-ryu that has led two people to claim soke-ship? Or does the dairi in soke dairi mean something that if I were aware of it would significantly change my understanding of things?

Enlighten me, please.

Kami
05-22-2002, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Jakusotsu
If one goes to www.daito-ryu.org/kondo.html one can read about Daito-ryu and Kondo Katsuyuki sensei, etc. It says that he has been awarded soke dairi. I can't remember exactly what dairi means.

If one goes to www.daito-ryu.com one gets a very different picture. It is apparently the official website of the honbu Daito-ryu dojo. It says that Takeda Tokimune's daughter has been named soke of Daito-ryu by Tokimune.

Has there been some split or schism in Daito-ryu that has led two people to claim soke-ship? Or does the dairi in soke dairi mean something that if I were aware of it would significantly change my understanding of things?

KAMI : There are some splits and schisms in Daito-Ryu. Kondo Sensei does not claim to be soke of DR. He is a Hombu Cho (responsible for the main dojo) and a Soke Daiiri (representative for the soke). According to him, Tokimune Takeda empowered him to administer the Hombu 'til his sucessor came of age. Kondo should teach him. Apparently that didn't happen and two other groups claimed sokeship. In the E-Budo forum, there's a long discussion under the thread "Abashiri Group".
Some people, including Stanley Pranin, from Aikido Journal, favor Kondo Sensei's claims. Others don't.
The same old story that has happened in many other martial arts. Go reading and decide your own opinion.
Best