View Full Version : Iaido in Pittsburgh, PA?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

01-05-2011, 12:11 AM
I have been fascinated for many years with Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu) and I would love to learn. I had some questions:

Are there any Iaido classes being offered in Pittsburgh by an expert? I found one martial arts academy that offered "iaido" but the instructor said he is only versed in "basic iaido". I want to be trained by someone who is a true expert, especially if I am paying good money for the classes!

Is 35 years old too high an age to start such training?

What sort of uniform and equipment would I have to buy and is it available in big and tall sizes?

Can you start such training if you are overweight?

PS: I was also interested in Kendo and I saw http://www.pittsburgh-kendo.com/ but unfortunately there are no daytime or weekend classes. I don't have a car and don't want to travel at night by foot/bus since it's a bit dangerous.

So any information on getting started as a beginner and specifically who can teach me in Pittsburgh would be great.

Also I noticed that other martial arts such as Akido say they teach sword technique so I'm a bit confused. If I wanted to get the most pure Japanese sword technique training do you recommend starting with Iaido and adding Kendo? Are there other Japanese sword arts I failed to mention?

Kind Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I can't help you with finding a place to train, but age and weight are not issues with this. Some styles do forms from seiza, so that may be a little toubh for you depending on how your knees are and your leg strength. I'm sure you the forms could be modified or you could do them from standing.

01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
I think you might have been asking the same thing on kendo-world.

check out http://www.auskf.info/dojo/pa.htm and ask if each dojo has iaido. Iaido is fairly rare when compared to other martial arts, so it depends on what you consider an expert.

03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Sorry I only just ran across your post now. As far as I am aware there are not any iaido schools in Pittsburgh. I think I looked into that when I first began looking into aikido.