PDA

View Full Version : Iaido in Pittsburgh, PA?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

netrek
01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
I have been fascinated for many years with Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu) and I would love to learn. I had some questions:

Are there any Iaido classes being offered in Pittsburgh by an expert? I found one martial arts academy that offered "iaido" but the instructor said he is only versed in "basic iaido". I want to be trained by someone who is a true expert, especially if I am paying good money for the classes!

Is 35 years old too high an age to start such training?

What sort of uniform and equipment would I have to buy and is it available in big and tall sizes?

Can you start such training if you are overweight?

PS: I was also interested in Kendo and I saw http://www.pittsburgh-kendo.com/ but unfortunately there are no daytime or weekend classes. I don't have a car and don't want to travel at night by foot/bus since it's a bit dangerous.

So any information on getting started as a beginner and specifically who can teach me in Pittsburgh would be great.

Also I noticed that other martial arts such as Akido say they teach sword technique so I'm a bit confused. If I wanted to get the most pure Japanese sword technique training do you recommend starting with Iaido and adding Kendo? Are there other Japanese sword arts I failed to mention?

Kind Regards,
Zach
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
netrek@gmail.com

ninjaqutie
01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I can't help you with finding a place to train, but age and weight are not issues with this. Some styles do forms from seiza, so that may be a little toubh for you depending on how your knees are and your leg strength. I'm sure you the forms could be modified or you could do them from standing.

HL1978
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
I think you might have been asking the same thing on kendo-world.

check out http://www.auskf.info/dojo/pa.htm and ask if each dojo has iaido. Iaido is fairly rare when compared to other martial arts, so it depends on what you consider an expert.

Shadowfax
03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Sorry I only just ran across your post now. As far as I am aware there are not any iaido schools in Pittsburgh. I think I looked into that when I first began looking into aikido.