View Full Version : Recovery Shake

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I've started working out more, and I've been trying to follow somewhat of a diet. I've cut out almost all processed and refined sugars, switched from white flours to whole grains, and have been working out harder and on a more regular basis. That being said, I've also gotten into the habit of trying to count calories, proteins, carbs, fats, etc...My BMR is 1776, and I normally consume about 1000 or less before my workout (including dinner) Then I do my workout (normally an hour to hour and a half depending on what I'm working that day) I break a good sweat, and go for my shake (home made, never buy any premade stuffs, nor do I use any whey protein powder, etc...) I normally put in a banana or two, a cup or so of berries, up to 4 cups of milk, and about a cup of peanut butter. Therein lies my question. I get plenty of protein for recovery, but is it too much peanut butter? Is the fat content too high, or since I eat lower amounts throughout the day does it even out? I know I should be keeping a log or journal with the details, but I don't have time to write everything down, study every label, etc...so I'm going on a general rule basis at this time. I use interval training and really push myself during my workouts the whole time, so it's not like I'm just lightly jogging and barely breaking a sweat. I almost always go for muscle failure. I know the fats slow down the carbs for slower digestion, so does it all even out (again, as a general rule as none of us are aware of the exact count of daily nutrients at this time) Most diets are 50% carb, 30% fat, and 20% protein, but mine tend to be 40% carb, 20% fat, and 40% protein (roughly; with all the peanut butter I'm sure the fat is more by the time it's all said and done) Back to the original question though, is that too much peanut butter? Is it inhibiting results from showing due to the fat content? Also, any recipes for recovery shakes would be appreciated. Arigato Gozaimasu.

Janet Rosen
01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I don't count; I use peanut butter as a protein source in my diet but I do know a cup of peanut butter is a huge amount of calories and fat so I would probably not use more than 1/4 cup/day (= 2 servings)

01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
The formula for muscle recovery after a workout is a 1:4 ratio of protein to carbs (as measured in grams). This seems to be the ideal ratio to restore muscle glycogen and to repair damage and build muscle tissue, so mixing some peanut butter with some milk is not a bad idea.

But you have to watch out for the mistake that a lot of people make when they start exercising, or become more systematic about it: the mistake of assuming that because you're exercising, you need more food. Often what's needed is different food, better quality food, and often less food. I'm with Janet on the quantities in your recipe: a cup of peanut butter? Four cups of milk? That gives you 128 grams of protein (64 + 64) and 88 grams of carbohydrate (40 + 48), plus whatever you're getting from the other ingredients (mostly carbohydrate). That's massive quantities. I'd be less concerned about the fat, which if you've chosen your peanut butter well is the right kind of fat -- it's just that with those kind of quantities, you're getting a lot of calories. Any macronutrient, carb or fat or protein, when consumed in excess of your body's requirements, will turn to fat -- a high-protein diet isn't a win if it's just way too many calories, period.

So, how much do you need? Researchers differ, and the needs differ based on your activity and your lean muscle mass, but most calculations would have that 128 grams of protein in your shake as being at or over the daily total protein for a 170 pound person engaged in weight-bearing rather than endurance exercise (that presumes an appropriate amount of lean muscle mass).

Finally, there are a lot of recipes and products out there, but not many that can beat plain old chocolate milk. You might want to drinking a modest amount of it within 30 minutes of exercise, maybe add a piece of fresh fruit if you want. Just use that as your post-exercise nutrition for a few weeks and see how it goes.