PDA

View Full Version : new members

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

alex
05-19-2002, 03:29 PM
HI

IAM ALEX AND I STARTED 2 MONTHS AGO I REALLY ENJOY IT AND HAVE HAD ALOT OF FUN AND PAIN! BUT WHERE I GO (DOJO) THERE ARE MANY WHO COME JUST TO MUCK AROUND AND DONT LISTEN TO WHAT THEY ARE BEEN TAUGHT!?!

THIS GETS ME ANGRY BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE IT MEANS WHEN THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO LEARN HAVE TO WAIT BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE MUCKING AROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANY IDEAS TO HELP THIS PROBLEM

Jorx
05-19-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry but USING CAPITAL LETTERS IN POSTS IS CONSIDERED SCREAMING AND THEREFORE VERY UNPOLLITE.

Anyhow... those who muck around - have some patience they will drop out soon enough. Be above the problem.

Good luck and have fun...

Jorgen
Estonian Aikikai
Riveta Sportsclub

guest1234
05-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Hi, and welcome to Aikido Alex. What to do depends on a lot of different things...are you in a beginners' class, and it is there that the folks don't pay attention? As Jorgen pointed out, just keep practicing, they will either get serious or leave. If they, instead, are the seniors, and this is the tone of the dojo, you may want to consider visiting other dojos to see if the atmosphere is more what you are seeking. Even if they are seniors, it doesn't mean you can't be serious and learn, even if they are not, but it will be more often frustrating to you... If this is a kids class, well, some kids are more mature than others, but with luck the others will get more serious with time. Work with it for a while, and if they don't stop acting immature, talk with the instructor or sensei about perhaps attending adult class.

One dojo I've trained in, there was a blackbelt who made no secret he wasn't there to work hard or learn anything, really... it was purely social for him. There were a few other seniors who shared his sttitude, but not as strongly. After a short time, they started to just come occasionally, and I haven't seen the blackbelt on the mat in a year or more... so...you can outlast even seniors with that attitude, but if they are other places around you may want to try them.

Good luck!

Chris Tan
05-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Hi Alex,

I face the same problem in my dojo sometimes as we have young children who come in from the kids class into the adult class. They tend to fool around with each other until the sensei starts to scold them.

I have a few experiences with them where I found that I wasn't really able to practice the technique being taught as they weren't giving a committed attack and not following through the technique. This even applied to a brown belt (4th Kyu) whose father was practicing in the same dojo.

Either you practice with other more serious partners or just relax, like I do, and enjoy the training. Some of their antics do make me smile though:p ...

faramos
05-20-2002, 12:02 AM
Hey Alex,

First off, best to you and your training partners. Secondly, every now and again we get frustrated with people who don't seem to take Aikido "seriously" or see it the same way you do. I understand this seems like a annoyance after awhile, but at the same time, we are asked to pay better attention to our training even though sessions may not go as planned or seem entirely pleasant. Think of these instances as a tool to test your focus and understanding of what Aikido truly is and how it is applied. Moreover, it seems like your focus and potential are very strong, let that be a guide to you during practice. Who, knows, maybe your focus will catch on with other people who don't see Aikido the same way.

Good Luck!

Jorx
05-20-2002, 02:38 AM
This even applied to a brown belt (4th Kyu)

Since when is 4th kyu a brown belt?:confused:

I'm starting a new thread on that...

Jorgen

nikonl
05-20-2002, 05:02 AM
yer caps lock key is jammed?? :D
Those who are meant to stay,will stay.

This thread is should be connected to the thread on 'Aikido is expensive'.

This is another reason why some dojo fees are expensive. So that people won't pay a high fee to muck around.

SeiserL
05-20-2002, 09:11 AM
IMHO, if too many people are "mucking" around, you may have found a school that has different priorities than you do. Many people train for a variety of reasons. Aikido is like that. Don't let their attitude be contagious. Train hard anyway. If you can't, perhaps you need to talk to Sensei, or find another school.

Welcome to origami with people and learning to blend and become one with the mat.

Until again,

Lynn
Nidan Tenshinkai Aikido
Lucaylucay Kali JKD