PDA

View Full Version : tainohenko entry

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tim evans
12-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Off a tsuki punch grabbing underside of gi sleeve. :)

sakumeikan
12-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Hi Tim,
Expand more on what you are seeking advice on.Generally speaking I would not grab the sleeve of a gi underside.

tim evans
12-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Once you turn uke do you momentarily switch your grip or still hold on to sleave

lbb
12-21-2010, 01:26 PM

That's not a question.

odudog
12-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Don't switch the grip. Hold on. Depending on the technique that you want to do, you will either apply the technique with the hand that is doing the grabbing, or, use the free hand. Think of either applying a sankyo [same hand] or going to nikyo [free hand].

Also, don't grab the sleeve. This will become a bad habit. Instead grab the forearm. Not everyone wears sleeves in the summertime.

tim evans
12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't switch the grip. Hold on. Depending on the technique that you want to do, you will either apply the technique with the hand that is doing the grabbing, or, use the free hand. Think of either applying a sankyo [same hand] or going to nikyo [free hand].

Also, don't grab the sleeve. This will become a bad habit. Instead grab the forearm. Not everyone wears sleeves in the summertime.

Thanks mike for the response I have been experimenting with this and your right grabbing the sleave is bad :)

raul rodrigo
12-21-2010, 07:12 PM
A full-on grab also creates difficulties because your grip tightens and your own flow is constricted. You can't transition to another waza as smoothly. I prefer to hook the inside of the elbow with my last two fingers and turn uke, and then slide along the arm to the wrist as I transition to sankyo or kaiten.

RED
12-21-2010, 08:28 PM
That's not a question.

No, but it is good imagery. :D

tim evans
12-21-2010, 11:34 PM
A full-on grab also creates difficulties because your grip tightens and your own flow is constricted. You can't transition to another waza as smoothly. I prefer to hook the inside of the elbow with my last two fingers and turn uke, and then slide along the arm to the wrist as I transition to sankyo or kaiten.

I will try that raul thanks

ramenboy
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM

+1. once you train yourself to have a death grip, it'll be hard to let go. learn the mmovement and postitioning so its precise. then you can figure out if you want to do sankyo or kaiten nage or whatever.

tim evans
12-23-2010, 11:16 PM
:D +1. once you train yourself to have a death grip, it'll be hard to let go. learn the mmovement and postitioning so its precise. then you can figure out if you want to do sankyo or kaiten nage or whatever.

Thanks jerome if you come down for yamadas seminar maybe we can try this technique after senseis seminar of course:D

ramenboy
12-24-2010, 12:13 AM
:D

Thanks jerome if you come down for yamadas seminar maybe we can try this technique after senseis seminar of course:D

hahahaha yeah we can just break it out when sensei's lookin the other way :p

see you guys in a couple months!

ChrisHein
12-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Depends on what you want to do. If the reason Uke is thrusting at you is that he is armed, then grabbing in whatever method you can is good. The Aikido syllabus is large, you can do many techniques from any common armed position (hand over/under grabbing top/bottom).

If the tsuki is an unarmed punch, the hand is likely on its way back to uke's body soon after it is thrown, in that case, footwork and positioning take the front seat to any kind of grab.

If the attack is an armed jabbing motion, like the "sewing machine" (not tsuki). Don't use this kind of entry.