View Full Version : Sankyo Variations

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Randall Lim
11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Hi all!

I have come across Sankyu variations from the various Aikido styles.

For example, in the Aikikai style (correct me if i am wrong), Tori places Uke's faced-out palm vertically on Tori's chest and Tori simply spins his body.

While in the Tendoryu style, Tori sinks his centre with Uke's palm bent horizontally down under Uke's vertical forearm, and Tori's hip is twisted like a boxer delivering his punch.

Any other variations of sankyo??

11-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Those are not variations, its how you apply them. The 2nd application is also done in Aikikai.

So is application no 1 but without spinning uke, just cutting down. Or cutting horizontally, or stepping into uke's shoulder, or stepping out whilst leading uke's palm.

Just so, putting uke's hand on tori's chest is a good way to start but unnecessary... as long you're using enshin and connecting to uke's centre that is.

Carsten Möllering
11-29-2010, 01:50 AM
I have come across Sankyu variations from the various Aikido styles.This is not a question of styles but of situations, possibilities or also preferences of tori.
And there are lots and lots of ways.

Basic way I (being aikikai) try to practice is palm faced out on my shoulder (or maybe even higher because I'm not very tall), fixed with one hand, other arm as much vertical as possible, pointing downward. Nearly no twisting or spinning.(Whats the difference in this case?)

You can do sankyo also standing with your knee or "half kneeling" with your thigh.