PDA

View Full Version : Gift

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ninjaqutie
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Jun, if this should be in the open discussion area, could you move it please? :D

Okay, so I am hoping to hear some nice gift ideas from each of you. :) I have a great bujin hakama that I had measured for where I wanted to wear it, but I found out that in iaido, I should really be tying it lower then I was to make it easier for me to do saya work. So, now that it is two inches lower, I obviously had to have it hemmed. One of the guys in our dojo said his wife would be willing to hem it for me... and she did. She usually charges for this type of thing, but said that her and her husband agreed to do it free this time as a gift.

This is all well and good, but I would like to give a small present in return for their generosity. She even had it finished by the next morning after I dropped it off. They are a lovely couple and are very kind. I know I am going to do a hand written thank you card, but I thought something else might be nice. I don't know too much about them outside of dojo life. I do know that his wife is from Japan and her husband lived in Japan for several years.

I was thinking about perhaps a box of chocolates from Lillie Belle Farms (one of the top 10 chocolatiers in the U.S.) which is actually less then a mile away from my house. Their truffles and ganache are quite delicious.... but I don't know if they actually like and or eat chocolate. Not to mention, if I ask then it ruines the surprise.... so, if you have any other ideas, I would really appreciate it! I am hoping to give them the present on Tuesday when I can pick up the hakama (haven't been going to class with the whole injured foot issue...)

THANKS!

Rabih Shanshiry
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Odds are in your favor that the wife likes chocolate.

http://blog.japundit.com/archives/2008/01/06/7648/

ninjaqutie
10-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Interesting :D

guest1234567
10-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Hello ninjaqutie,
Perhaps a branch of flowers or a small adornment figure wraped nicely.

Peter Wong
10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
How about a plant?

guest1234567
10-16-2010, 01:46 PM
How about a plant?

I read about de protocol in relation of gifts in Japan and in one blog they say that a plant gives a bad augury, maybe someone living in Japan and knowing their customs can tell us if this is true..

Adam Huss
10-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Maybe an orchid? Do you have any skills or artistic talents that could be used to return the favor? Does this lady and her husband enjoy a certain adult beverage (nice bottle of sake or wine?).

ninjaqutie
10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
I know the husband is a huge beer drinker, but not sure about his wife. :) I had done a bit of research and it seems like plants and flowers are kind of hard to figure out since potted plants and certain colors can mean bad things... gah. I'm sure they would understand, but still...

Walter Martindale
10-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Make sure NOT to write the note with green ink.

Janet Rosen
10-17-2010, 01:19 AM
A small basket, lined w/ an attractive scarf or dish towel, holding some local foods (a jam, a cheese, fruit) and a small tin of tea - chances are good she'll like something in it and can always opt to pass anything she doesn't care for to others.

Abasan
10-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Can't go wrong with chocolates unless you're a dog.

Janet Rosen
10-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Can't go wrong with chocolates unless you're a dog.

Or diabetic, a migraineur, or have bad reflux disease :-(

ninjaqutie
10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
migraineur :-(

That is me... but I can have chocolate. Isn't one of my triggers. YAY!

Lan Powers
10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
so....
what did you decide on?
(I liked Janets idea, myself) :)

ninjaqutie
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I actually went with the hand picked chocolates. Turns out she LOVES chocolate. She was very appreciative and told me my gift was very thoughtful. I just hope she likes the ones I picked out: lavender caramel, pumpkin, cinnamin, fluffernutter, martini, dark chocolate, lemonbutter cup and raspberry are just a few :D

Lan Powers
10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
hmmm if you arent SURE about the chocolates in question....
you should probably ship the items in question to me.

I'll review them all (seconds on selected ones) and continue to research this thorny issue as long as you will ply me with goodies.

Perhaps a Major-Evaluation is in order?
No, no need to thank me. Just one of the many services I try to give back to the unwitting public.

:)

(rubs hands in anticipation)

Rob Watson
10-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I actually went with the hand picked chocolates. Turns out she LOVES chocolate. She was very appreciative and told me my gift was very thoughtful. I just hope she likes the ones I picked out: lavender caramel, pumpkin, cinnamin, fluffernutter, martini, dark chocolate, lemonbutter cup and raspberry are just a few :D

Choco is so good all by itself I don't understand why folks gunk it all up with the other stuff.

Interesting article in the recent (Nov/Dec) issue of Archaeology "The Power of Chocolate". Recent work pushes the earliest dates of use back to 1500 B.C. Like a great many of our foodstuffs there are myriad chemical compounds that we know little about that have great potential if only we would take the time to look closely at what is right in front of our faces.

Sorry for the drift ...

Walter Martindale
10-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Not sure if you can get this in the USA but here's my favourite. If you ever get to Calgary visit head office. There are Callebaut shops in many cities in Canada..

http://www.bernardcallebaut.com/users/folder.asp

Used to live a 15 minute walk from their headquarters. Yum.

(edit) - just checked - they have a shop in Lake Oswego, OR. Give them a try if you're through there.
W

ninjaqutie
10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Lan, I will send you three boxes of chocolates STAT for your evaluation ;)

Robert, I like asides, so no worries. Thanks for the info.

Walter, if I ever go up that way, I will have to find me some of those chocolates. YUM! This is where I got their chocolates from. Like I said, it is like a mile from my house. :D http://www.lilliebellefarms.com/

ramenboy
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
ash

definitely can't go wrong with chocolate!

'chotto tsumarani mono desu kedo....'

hope training is going well