PDA

View Full Version : Summer Camp in the Rockies

Please visit our sponsor:

guest1234
05-11-2002, 07:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got back from the Aiki Expo (and was it ever fun:D ), and so now my thoughts are turning to my next great adventure, Summer Camp. I know the kinds of things to take to seminars, being quite the seminar groupie, but I'm not so sure about Summer Camp. Aside from the usual seminar stuff (gis, weapons, water bottle, tape, etc) is there anything anyone who's been to Summer Camp was glad they packed, or wish they had?:confused:

Thanks!

PS Jun, don't forget you are going to teach me to do silent breakfalls:freaky: :eek:

akiy
05-12-2002, 10:17 AM
I've written up a general article on "Seminar Tips" that I have here on AikiWeb:

http://www.aikiweb.com/training/akiy6.html

Things that may be nice to bring to the Summer Camp in the Rockies (http://www.boulderaikikai.org/sc) include a bathing suit (as Monday night has an excursion to the local hot springs), sun screen (as the weapons classes are outside under the relatively high altitude (~5800 feet) sun), and your dancing shoes (as there'll probably be dancing during the Friday night dinner.

Wednesday will be a "free" day (meaning there'll be only two "optional" classes at camp) so you'll get a chance to see the Glenwood Springs, Colorado area which can include Aspen, so you might want to bring some extra cash if you want to do something exciting like river rafting or horseback riding. Bring your camera, too, as there are beautiful sites all around including a great view of Mount Sopris from the camp itself.

And, yes, Colleen -- I can certainly try to show you how to do a "silent" breakfall! It'll be my pleasure.

Hope to see a lot of folks there!

-- Jun

akiy
05-15-2002, 08:50 AM
By the way, is anyone else on these Forums attending the Summer Camp in the Rockies?

Especially, I was wondering if any students of Imaizumi sensei were going to be there. Lyle, are you attending? Will there be any of his students from New York and other places attending? We're always happy to meet and train with new people, especially valued students of the guest instructor who can help us figure out what he's doing!

-- Jun

BC
05-15-2002, 11:19 AM
A couple of things that I've learned to bring are a traveling alarm clock (for early morning classes) and PLASTIC hangers. Rust from metal hangers is almost impossible to get out of white keiko gi. I also make it a point to bring extra bokken and jo for beginners who might not have purchased them yet. I've started to bring a vibrating back massager and also a foot massager. I bring those out at night and people grab them like bees to honey because we're all so sore! I know other people have brought things like rice steamers, hot plates and crock pots for cooking in their rooms. This year I'm also going to bring a coffee maker to the MAF Summer Camp, because I can't bear to drink the coffee in the dorm cafeteria where we have to eat!

guest1234
05-18-2002, 05:51 PM
Wow, all the comforts of home...now I'm not sure if I should bring all those things, or just figure out where BC is staying ;) How did they ever get rice cookers and crock pots into their luggage :confused:?

Jun, I asked some of Imaizumi Sensei's New York students I saw at the Expo, and they weren't sure who was planning on going... I know two of his previous NY students who have been transplanted to Seattle and Las Vegas are going.

akiy
05-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ca
Wow, all the comforts of home...now I'm not sure if I should bring all those things, or just figure out where BC is staying ;) How did they ever get rice cookers and crock pots into their luggage :confused:?
One of our folks usually brings her coffee machine since she drives. I'll probably have the dojo computer (ie desktop!) since I'll be driving, too, and need something with which I can do things like upload pictures.

Jun, I asked some of Imaizumi Sensei's New York students I saw at the Expo, and they weren't sure who was planning on going... I know two of his previous NY students who have been transplanted to Seattle and Las Vegas are going.
I know at least one of the Seattle folks (K) who'll be there. I'm just hoping we'll get to meet some of his New York students as the camp (as, well, is pretty much all seminars) is meant to be a "friendship" seminar, too...

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else I know who'll be there!

-- Jun

guest1234
05-18-2002, 10:10 PM
I hope so, too, but with so many of them working, living, and of course training just blocks from Ground Zero, there may be those who'd like to but just can't. Hopefully we'll see a fair number of them, though...they are all super people.