PDA

View Full Version : Covering posts in the mat space

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

mukyu
09-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey folks, we have 5 posts in the new dojo, and we'd like to cover
them with something for safety sake.

You can buy things from sports stores that are designed for this, but
it is $175 per post!

Has anyone another solution that works as well?

I have a few ideas :
- blue or yellow foam sleeping pads
- old tatami cut up. We have a number of cut tatami in our current
space that will be unusable in the new space. Cut to size, wrap in
duct tape, then cover in cloth
- hockey gear padding. The foam they use in there is used as packing material on some applications, so maybe we could contact a packing material company and get a big roll of it cheaply?

Has anyone tried any of the above, or something else completely?

Amir Krause
09-19-2010, 07:27 AM
In the previous location we had two poles that were covered with Tatami pieces covered. It help for about a decade.

BR
Amir

lbb
09-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I guess it all depends on how much you care about protecting people vs. forcing them to be safe within the space. On the one hand, ski areas often have very thick padding around lift towers and other man-made features that are located in public areas. On the other hand, many dojos have mat space that ends at walls, and the walls are not generally padded. People learn to be aware of where they're taking ukemi and where they're throwing, although it's much easier with a wall than with a post. I don't think something as thin as a sleeping pad or tatami is going to help if someone gets full-on irimi nage'd into a post, so I think you are gong to have to mostly rely on people to be careful of themselves and their partners.

dps
09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
If a tatami is good for someone taking a break fall on the floor it should be good for a similar purpose on a post. You might want to color the post a different contrasting color then the floor tatami to make them more obvious and easier to see. If the posts are of the same color as the floor they may not be seen in your peripheral vision.

David

lbb
09-19-2010, 06:37 PM
David, the only problem is that in aikido, you pretty much know when you're going to hit the floor. The main danger in hitting a post, as I see it, is if you're not expecting to do so.

dps
09-19-2010, 06:54 PM
David, the only problem is that in aikido, you pretty much know when you're going to hit the floor. The main danger in hitting a post, as I see it, is if you're not expecting to do so.

But with a brightly colored post that is very noticeable nage and uke can adjust their position before the technique to avoid the post.

Any padding is better than none.

David

Lan Powers
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
FLUFFY more the merrier.
(But good, aware, ukemi is still the best protection)
Best
Lan