PDA

View Full Version : Damned If I Don't, Damned If I Do

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

dps
09-07-2010, 11:38 PM
If I don't lose weight it is unhealthy for me. :(

Now I find out that if I do lose weight it is unhealthy for me. :freaky:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6861XV20100907

So do I gain the weight back or what? :confused:

David

lbb
09-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh, eyeroll.

WilliB
09-08-2010, 07:06 AM
If I don't lose weight it is unhealthy for me. :(

Now I find out that if I do lose weight it is unhealthy for me. :freaky:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6861XV20100907

So do I gain the weight back or what? :confused:

David

I guess that leaves you with.... liposuction?

(double eye roll)

mathewjgano
09-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I knew you all would say that (third-eye roll)! :p :D

I suppose it probably depends on other factors too though.
FWIW, I think I recall hearing about a study which showed that populations which gluttoned at huge feasts to off-set wintery starvation periods would have shorter life-spans on average when compared to populations which always struggled a little to find adequate foods. I'm guessing a lot of this has to do with the storage of excess energy in the body, which I believe tends to be in the form of fat, and particularly after starvation periods.
I imagine having an excess of fatty tissue would store greater amounts of these poisons in the first place lending to the idea that we ought encourage our kids to moderate their fat intake.

phitruong
09-09-2010, 08:51 AM
depends on environment though. when i lived in minnesota, i ate heavy meals, i.e. meats (lots of it), bread (lots and lots of it) and cheese (huge quantity of it). the winter is kinda brutal especially when you hang around them viking folks on plunder and pillage works (milking cows, feeding cows, shoveling snows, ice fishing, deer hunting, ...etc). when i moved down south, i ate light (well not that light but lighter than up north) and shed quite a bit of fat (mostly melted by the damn heat) in order to fit into zebra striped speedo thong. :D

darwin's law: survival of the adaptable :)

Tatsukage
09-09-2010, 02:41 PM
There's seemingly always two sides to EVERY story, so I would just do whatever you wanted and what felt right. If you want to keep weight, go for it. If not, no worries. You shouldn't let a recent study detour you from what you want.

RED
09-09-2010, 08:25 PM
So lesson would be that you shouldn't get fat to begin with. :p

Lorien Lowe
09-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Probably the take-away message is to lose weight, slowly. If you put yourself on some sort of starvation diet, you could be dumping a large load of toxins into your system; if you try for 2-4 lbs/month, you can still get pretty far over the course of year but will be dealing with a smaller load of chemicals in your blood stream.

this blog
http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/
has a lot of balanced discussion on that topic and others related to weight loss.

WilliB
09-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Probably the take-away message is to lose weight, slowly. If you put yourself on some sort of starvation diet, you could be dumping a large load of toxins into your system; if you try for 2-4 lbs/month, you can still get pretty far over the course of year but will be dealing with a smaller load of chemicals in your blood stream.

this blog
http://blogs.plos.org/obesitypanacea/
has a lot of balanced discussion on that topic and others related to weight loss.

Maybe some generous blood donations too? Let others share your accumulated gunk...

Walter Martindale
09-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I think that the lesson is more than merely don't get fat in the first place, rather, avoid foods with environmental toxins, avoid breathing polluted air, drinking polluted water, and so on. If it's not in your food in the first place, it won't get stored (or bio-concentrated) in your fat..

I'm just not sure how to do all that in today's world.
Walter

Rob Watson
09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
dumping a large load of toxins into your system

Liposuction out that flab! Toxins and fat in one fell swoop.