PDA

View Full Version : "Oldie" but "newbie" to become Aikidoka!

Please visit our sponsor:

MarkRThompson
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
After 2 brief stints in martial arts over the last 30 years leading to nowhere, I am gonna find an Aikido Dojo and begin my last and best journey in martial arts. I am too old (and wise) to think i can survive the rigors of many very physically demanding other M.A. Not that Aikodo is going to be a "walk in the park", but at least i think it is something i can practice and embrace well up into my 70's and beyond. Have done extensive reading about Aikido and love the phylosophy and teachings.I work occasionally at a hospital in Torrance, Calif and have had the pleasure to meet an R.N. who is just a happy person. She is small in stature (5' 1") but BIG in accomplishments. She is "2nd Dan"? in Aikido. We have talked about Aikido a great deal and i think it is for me. Her name is Nicha Panich. She is a practicing Aikidoka of 10 years. She tells me that the main thing is too have fun! I'm hoping jjust to be able to live a peaceful life and to protect myself reasonably well in situations in the future, with AIKIDO! Mark Thompson

akiy
09-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AikiWeb. I hope you find a good aikido dojo near you soon.

-- Jun

SeaGrass
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Welcome to Aikiweb Mark. Have you had a chance to check out Westminster Aikikai dojo on Westminster and Newland? It's close by Garden Grove.

Janet Rosen
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome to aikiweb and even more so to an exciting start in your new path. Aikido is both a huge challenge and a huge joy for me and hopefully it will resonate for you.

ninjaqutie
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the journey. I'm biased I suppose, but I think it is a good one to take. :) Like you, I am a beginner too. I have only been training for a year and a half or so.

MarkRThompson
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
:D :Thanks to each of you for your comments and support. I will check out the dojo in Westminster. I am looking forward to what i expect will be a very fulfilling "spiritual" journey in becoming a competent practitioner of the art of Aikido. It is the support and encouragement of my fellow R.N. and 2nd Dan Nicha Panich, and other "akidoka" (such as all of you that have posted comments) that reinforce the feeling that i am on the right path for physical, mental, and spiritual fullfillment in a martial art. Thanks Again, and May God Bless! Mark Thompson: :ai: :ki: :do: