PDA

View Full Version : I heard, that Aikido is teaching more than fighting. And a question about home train.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

newn
08-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone.
I would like to ask a little bit about Aikido. As i've read in a few places, Aikido is more, than a martial art. It teaches how to remain calm on any situation. How to calm yourself. How to deal with stress, even on a hard test at school, or a fight with someone, or other bad things. Is there a bit of truth in this explanation?
If so, this would fit me perfectly, because I'm stressed a lot, is that a speech, is that a test, is that some new people, is that a bullie, or is that some non-pleasant speech with higher autorities (at school, one of my teacher's a puppet-master, and i don't like people, who thinks others are stupid, and tries to control them in very playful psychological puzzles.), or any other simple stuff. I'm just shy and i don't know, i'm just stressing too much.
Another reason to learn Aikido, is that i am not a very strong person, and i heard, that Aikido is more about using your enemie's power against them. And i get bullied sometimes, most of the time not fights, but just words and things like trying to take something of mine, or do little things, with no damage to me, except stress, ruined day and dishonor vs my friends, as showing, that i am a weak person physically. I am not looking for revenge, fighting or killing. I am looking at defending myself, and preventing bad thigns to happen to me. Oh, and i'm living in an unsafe country, a lot of bad stuff happens around here. A guy can come to you, ask for a ciggarett, if you don't have it (i'm not smoking, nor drinking), he can kick your butt. Even if you do, he can do that. Or a few guys. Just an example.

Okay, now another question: I am living in a poor country. I am poor, i am 18 years old, i don't get any money from nowhere. I cannot find a job, because i am going to school, and our country have a lot of unemplyed people around, even those with university deegree. Which means, that i don't have any money to be thought at an Aikido saloon. So i would have to train at home. And i couldn't have any special things to do that, like weights or something like that. So can i learn Aikido at home? If so, is there some nice, free tutorials somewhere, or something like that?

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language. And please ask, if you haven't understood anything, or you need something to know. Thanks.

Gorgeous George
08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
You can't do aikido if you're tense - you have to relax in order to do it; so if you practice relaxing, then you will naturally, over time, become more relaxed. So I think that it will help you in that sense - besides the martial one.

Having physical contact with others, and working harmoniously with them (which is what you do in aikido) will help your social skills to a great degree, too.

There was a thread here about home training recently:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18396

Regards the situation where somebody comes to ask you for a cigarette, then beats you up: I think most people here would say that aikido would teach you to avoid being in that situation in the first place.

I hope that helps.

newn
08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for answer. However, after reading the post, it seems, that i would need a partner, which is impossible around here, at least in my position. Everyone i know, counts strenght as a fighting style, no moves, no calmliness, just chaos and strenght. And i also know one rich person, but he's going with other people, for respect, or for w/e, i don't know. So yea, he is not going to do that...
Anyway, i was thinking about JKD and Aikido. But Aikido seems to teach more of that relaxation thing, that's why i've chosen Aikido. Those both arts seems to use opponent's power to defeat them, or to avoid the fight.
And speaking of avoiding the situation, about the cigarette, i doubt that. They mostly looking to beat someone up for fun, not for the smoke. Also, to take the mobile phones and something else, if you have wort money, so even, if you cross the street, or something like that, they will get to you somehow, most of the time. I know, that awariness means a lot.

Anyway, it seems, that i shouldn've created this thread, as it's impossibile to train something or anything in my circumstances. :/

Thanks for your answer anyway.

Gorgeous George
08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Where do you live?

Demetrio Cereijo
08-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Another reason to learn Aikido, is that i am not a very strong person, and i heard, that Aikido is more about using your enemie's power against them.
Don't believe everyting that's said about aikido.

Anyway, if you can't afford martial arts instruction, and you are on your own, you can always work your athleticism and strenght moving and lifting heavy things and doing bodyweight exercises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCQPCkmHMU). No expensive equipment required.

Bullies look for easy victims... put some muscle on you and don't look like one.

newn
08-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, i'm friends with my current classmates, but i have bullies from old times, who are working on their muscle too, and they know a lot of people, who is working on their muscle too. It's a big chain, in other words. So that ain't gonna help a lot, maybe just a little.
Anyway, thanks for the video link, iill check it out, tommorow. It's 1:30AM over here, and i would like to finish watching that movie, and get some sleep. :)

And i live in lithuania. A very, very crappy country. Why do you ask, Graham?

Thanks for answers!

Gorgeous George
08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, i'm friends with my current classmates, but i have bullies from old times, who are working on their muscle too, and they know a lot of people, who is working on their muscle too. It's a big chain, in other words. So that ain't gonna help a lot, maybe just a little.
Anyway, thanks for the video link, iill check it out, tommorow. It's 1:30AM over here, and i would like to finish watching that movie, and get some sleep. :)

And i live in lithuania. A very, very crappy country. Why do you ask, Graham?

Thanks for answers!

Hi Arthur,

i'm sorry to hear about the bad situation you're in.

I know what it's like when it's tough to get the money together/opportunity to travel to aikido training; I asked where you live because I wondered if you had searched for aikido dojos? I searched Lithuania for you, and this came up:

http://www.aikidocenter.lt/

http://www.aikido.lt/?page=gasshuku&lang=en

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/search.html

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aikido+lithuania&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Maybe you can travel to a class with some regularity - even if it's only once a week/month; then when you're there, ask the teacher to recommend some stuff you can do at home?
Then when you get to go to a class, you can see how well you're doing?

All the best

- Graham

newn
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
That's a good idea. But you see, even if i would be able to convince someone to pay him only for one lesson a month or a week, i don't think, that it would fit me. I've checked the price, and it says 110 our money for 3 times a week, for a month, So if i would be able to make it once a week, 2*4=8, so for 3 months, i would need to pay 110 our money... And i get about 50-200 our money a year. Most of the time 100. That's a present for my birthday. And my birtday is in a month by the way. So basically, i would need to pay my whole year "salary" for three months. :/ Everything is so expensive nowadays...

Oh, and by the way. I haven't tried asking for that different schedule yet. But they don't agree to say anything for free. In fact, one center allows you to do one introductionary lesson, after that, they write you in a book, and you are not allowed to do something else, until you pay.
I can't say i've been at all the aikido dojos around here, but some of them don't agree to give advices, or instructions to do something at home. It's "pay or go away" policy.

Thanks for your answer!

Garth Jones
08-29-2010, 09:13 PM
I would suggest visiting a dojo and watching a class or two. Be friendly and explain your financial situation to the sensei. He or she may say no, but it's possible that they might let you pay less since you don't have much money. Many dojos, in the US anyway, will do what they can to help people out.

If they say yes, then great. If not, you haven't lost anything by asking. Best of luck.

lbb
08-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone.
I would like to ask a little bit about Aikido. As i've read in a few places, Aikido is more, than a martial art. It teaches how to remain calm on any situation. How to calm yourself. How to deal with stress, even on a hard test at school, or a fight with someone, or other bad things. Is there a bit of truth in this explanation?

No. A typical aikido class consists of a warmup, followed by partner practice in techniques that include throws or pins, sometimes practice in footwork, and sometimes practice with weapons. It does not include any teaching on remaining calm, stress management, or dealing with bullies. Aikido teachers are not generally qualified to teach such things and do not teach them. While many people report that they are calmer or less stressed or whatever after training in aikido, I don't think it's accurate to say that aikido is responsible; instead, I think it's a case of a person who is ready for a certain kind of change in their life, and who could have found it in any number of places.

Aikido is also not the most efficient method for self-defense, because it takes a relatively long time to develop the skill to defend yourself with aikido techniques. If you are being bullied or have other interpersonal conflicts, you should seek other remedies.

Shadowfax
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
While many people report that they are calmer or less stressed or whatever after training in aikido, I don't think it's accurate to say that aikido is responsible; instead, I think it's a case of a person who is ready for a certain kind of change in their life, and who could have found it in any number of places.

I agree with the majority of what you say especially about being ready for a change. But I do have to say that, while other things I tried (for many years) were unable to really help me with the issues of becoming calmer, more peaceful and managing stress and conflict, were unable to help me, aikido has done so in a dramatic fashion. Of course its not just the actual practice and there is more involved than just what my teachers teach in the dojo but aikido is a large part of it.

Demetrio Cereijo
08-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Aikido is also not the most efficient method for self-defense, because it takes a relatively long time to develop the skill to defend yourself with aikido techniques. If you are being bullied or have other interpersonal conflicts, you should seek other remedies.

Seconded

newn
08-30-2010, 11:45 AM
So what are you saying? I mean, that Aikido is not so good for my reasons of learning it?
What would you suggest? JKD maybe?
Please be aware, that i am not one of the strongest persons, and building muscle requires a lot of time. It's like growing a tree. And as far, as i know, is that Aikido and JKD are the only one martial arts, which uses your opponent's power vs himself.

Thanks for advices!

Demetrio Cereijo
08-30-2010, 11:56 AM
So what are you saying? I mean, that Aikido is not so good for my reasons of learning it?
Exactly.

For someone who needs self defense skills and lacks money: Boxing or Judo.

Please be aware, that i am not one of the strongest persons, and building muscle requires a lot of time. It's like growing a tree.
Aikido skills developement takes longer than most tress to grow.
And as far, as i know, is that Aikido and JKD are the only one martial arts, which uses your opponent's power vs himself.

Propaganda.

Maarten De Queecker
09-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Please be aware, that i am not one of the strongest persons, and building muscle requires a lot of time. It's like growing a tree. And as far, as i know, is that Aikido and JKD are the only one martial arts, which uses your opponent's power vs himself.

Thanks for advices!

If your main reason is to be able to have a fighting chance against the people who bully you, then no, aikido probably can't help you, because it takes a while to learn.

Aikido can indeed be more than fighting if you want it to be like that. It can be a deep spiritual journey, it can be a way to make yourself more confident but it can also be just a way to kick someone's ass. It can even be all three of those, and a lot more things. This isn't unique to aikido alone. There are probably people who get the same kind of satisfaction out of Judo or other martial arts.

A martial art is what you decide it to be. Most of the people I know don't train aikido because they want a fighting chance. Some to it to keep their body in a relatively good shape, others do it because they can be with friends, others do it because it's so soft.

grondahl
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
If you want to try out an aikido class after all, I would recommend http://www.aikido.lt/?lang=en

The instructors are very serious and quite skilled.

WilliB
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I second all the replies to the question in this threat. And I think unfortunately Arthur is a victim of the false propaganda that surrounds Aikido; namely that, by learning a few magical movements, Aikido will enable to defeat any violent thug effortlessly by using his power against him. This is so silly... alas, it seems Aikido in particular seems to be surrounded by such urban myths. Nobody says this about e.g. boxing. I wonder how this nonsense got started...

Michael Varin
09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
And I think unfortunately Arthur is a victim of the false propaganda that surrounds Aikido; namely that, by learning a few magical movements, Aikido will enable to defeat any violent thug effortlessly by using his power against him. This is so silly... alas, it seems Aikido in particular seems to be surrounded by such urban myths. Nobody says this about e.g. boxing. I wonder how this nonsense got started...

Absolutely. What's interesting is that while that is what drew me to aikido, it has nothing to do with the reasons I have stayed with it for so long.

Arthur,

As far as your situation, I highly recomend judo. Grappling builds toughness and confidence much quicker than other arts, and judo classes tend to be more affordable.

http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/browse.php?Country=Lithuania

It's not going to be easy. You have to commit yourself to regular training for at least 6 months, and don't expect any magic techniques, but if you give it an honest effort you will develop real skills.

I say this to you, because I detect a serious "victim mentality" in your posts. You can blame whatever, other people, your country, or you can just dump the excuses and do the things you want to do in your life. Reframing your beliefs about yourself and your life will probably be more valuable to you than any martial art.

Best of luck!

Shinmai
09-25-2010, 02:52 AM
I think the fact that is being overlooked here by many of the respondents is that Arthur simply cannot afford training fees. If he can't afford the fees for aikido then he can't afford them for boxing or judo or anything else either.

Unless...

He can find a sympathetic Sensei or a sponsor, neither of which is out of the question. But at 18 and apparently lacking worldly experience, he may well need the assistance of an adult to find either.

However...

Arthur, please believe this: you are at an age now where there never was, nor will there ever be, a better time for you to do something about your strength and physique. You said "building muscle requires a lot of time". At your age, and providing you have a reasonable diet, that is simply not true. Admittedly you're not going to look like the Incredible Hulk by the end of the week, but with will and effort you will certainly notice significant changes within weeks rather than months. You will be amazed at how fast an 18-year-old can stack on muscle. Your body is at a perfect age to respond to effort and work-out.

Do you have access to free libraries? You obviously have Internet access. So use either or both to do a little research on the correct techniques for working specific muscle groups. Even that's not absolutely necessary if you just get in and do it, but with some understanding you will be getting the most you can out of your effort.

Other than that you don't need any training or even equipment. Lift any heavy weight you can find, do pull-ups on a door frame or tree branch, and doing push-ups on your knuckles will give you a punch to be respected.

At the same time you can work on your flexibility, again all for free.

It WILL happen, and it will happen VERY QUICKLY if you want it badly enough.

Dave Plaza
09-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Arthur,

I have been to Lithuania. I flew to Kaunas, stayed the night there, then caught the bus to Vilnius, and stayed there for several days. I had a really great time in your country but i agree that it is a very hostile place. On one night in Vilnius somebody did try to mug me but fortunatley I was able to cope wit the situation.

Regarding your situation I think that Aikido may be the wrong option, for now. I did boxing for 15+ years before Aikido, and with boxing you can get pretty useful in a short amount of time, Aikido takes a long time. With boxing you don't necessarily have to be big or strong, like most fighting styles I guess, there's a lot to be said for timing and movement... No matter how big that other guy is, if he can't touch you because of your footwork, and you can position yourself to get a good shot in, they go down... a chin is a chin. I've seen some small guys knock big muscled guys out in one.

I've only been doing aikido for about 7 months now, and if i got into a fight, i would box... If i was good at aikido, i would do that, but it's a long road... Aikido sits with my philosphy... i no longer want to cause hurt, never really did to be honest, but learning to box, you can pick up skills fast.

I dont want to put you off a Aikido though, but it's not a quick fix, it's more a way of life, so take the boxing quick fix and bring in aikido slowly. In my 7 months I've learnt some amazing ways to open up a persons body using aikido, so that I can use my strikes to maximum effect, although this isn't the way of aikido, I'm still learning :)

Good luck my friend on whtever path you choose.

By the way, I am guessing that boxing fees will be much more cheaper for you than Aikido, that is the case here in the UK due to boxing having a higher profile and more clubs to join. Aikido is pretty damn expensive.

Hellis
09-27-2010, 08:10 AM
There's me thinking you were from Britain.

It sound to me that the best thing for your needs would be an MMA class, there would be others there in your situation, so you would be able to meet and practice together to save money.

Henry Ellis
http://kenshiroabbe.blogspot.com/