PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Cutting with Bokken

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Daniel Lloyd
08-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Spent a wonderful afternoon being coached by my father about intensive training. We spent most of the afternoon cutting the leaves in our backyard. *Doesn't sound very intense huh?* With a BOKKEN. Not just lopping them off blindly, but cutting the very edges off piece by piece. Started on the large leaves then worked my way onto the smaller ones. The smallest leaves are probably 1cm longer, maybe less. and I was told I had to hit the very tip.

Surprising how much focus and skill it takes.

I know this sounds "ridiculous" (ridiculous is just another word for awesome) but any thoughts/opinions/similar experiences?

Mark Mueller
08-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Interesting....I have heard stories of practicing cutting the corners off a spinning piece of paper, Evidently they would suspend it by a string (attached to the middle of the paper) and set it spinning and then try to cut the corners off,

David Maidment
08-29-2010, 07:57 AM
I've accidentally lopped of parts of leaves while practising in the garden with an iaito. It takes a lot of uchiko to get rid of green leaf goo.

So I take it you mean leaves still attached to trees? That sounds like quite an interesting activity. If the weather calms down I'm going to have a go at that later.

Mark Mueller
08-29-2010, 09:07 AM
"So I take it you mean leaves still attached to trees? That sounds like quite an interesting activity. If the weather calms down I'm going to have a go at that later."

an when Autumn you should be good enough to do the falling ones ;-)

Daniel Lloyd
08-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, leaves still attached to trees.

Even if the wind moves it, I still must cut it.

Daniel Lloyd
08-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Just finished another round of intensive leaf cutting.
Arms are buggered, fingers are blistered, but I'm loving it.

Thank goodness there are like a bizillion leaves.

crbateman
08-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Thank goodness there are like a bizillion leaves.Easy to say if you are not a tree... ;)