PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own this brand of dogi?

Please visit our sponsor:

Scott Petty
08-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I just returned a gi to Ebogu, due to me ordering the wrong size. I was in the processing of ordering the correct size but instead found myself surfing the internet to see what was out there.

I stumbled across this site http://aikido-japan.com/ (http://aikido-japan.com), I haven't crossed it before. Was wondering if anyone has any info on the quality/durability or comfort of their dogi.

I'm looking for a light summer weight dogi. I just moved to Turkey and the dojo has no a/c and it gets hot and humid.

I've seen some "summer" or light weight ones on other sites. I'm open for suggestions.

Oh and for the record the customer service at Ebogu is outstanding.

Domo

chillzATL
08-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I just returned a gi to Ebogu, due to me ordering the wrong size. I was in the processing of ordering the correct size but instead found myself surfing the internet to see what was out there.

I stumbled across this site http://aikido-japan.com/ (http://aikido-japan.com), I haven't crossed it before. Was wondering if anyone has any info on the quality/durability or comfort of their dogi.

I'm looking for a light summer weight dogi. I just moved to Turkey and the dojo has no a/c and it gets hot and humid.

I've seen some "summer" or light weight ones on other sites. I'm open for suggestions.

Oh and for the record the customer service at Ebogu is outstanding.

Domo

I can't comment on the link, but I can say that without a doubt, the ebogu hidritex gi's do their job pretty well. I have several and they got a great test at our gasshuku this year. 95 degree temps outside, probably 105+ (and the humidity! ugh) in the dojo, no a/c, 8 hours per day for a week and I never felt like I was wearing wet rug, as is the case with many gi.

did you find taht the ebogu gi was one size too small? This is unfortunately the norm for them. Their sizing chart is off..

Mikemac
08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Can't say I've seen that one, but i do have a gi from Ebogu with the hidritex and I am thoroughly pleased with it. It's sturdy and fits really well. I have an unusual bodily thermostat, so heat is never really an issue, but the hidritex does keep the gi dry at the end of a summer class.

Cynrod
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price. You can try their Standard single layer and their Lightweight single layer for hot climates. I will recommend AikiJapan dogis anytime to anyone.

Ebogu's HiDritex is a very good dogi also for that hot climates and for hot summer days/nights training. I used to own one but I gave it to my son due to his elbows being scrapes by doing ukemis from wearing those dogis without the HidriTex lining on the sleeves.

Well, goodluck to your dogi search.

Scott Petty
08-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, two quick replies and both for the same gi.

No, I'm 5'9" and 225lbs or so. So I ordered a size 5 single layer gi. It was way to big. Even if I had tried to shrink there was no way I would have got it down far enough and the pants were so big it would have looked and fit funny. So I sent it back thinking I had sized it wrong, which according to the chart I did. I was trying to make up for my weight by going over board on the chart.

So the hidritex huh? Is it just the material that makes it good in the heat or is light weight too? I read the description and it mentions that is a double weave. I would have thought it was a single weave given the intention of the design.

Scott Petty
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price. You can try their Standard single layer and their Lightweight single layer for hot climates. I will recommend AikiJapan dogis anytime to anyone.

Ebogu's HiDritex is a very good dogi also for that hot climates and for hot summer days/nights training. I used to own one but I gave it to my son due to his elbows being scrapes by doing ukemis from wearing those dogis without the HidriTex lining on the sleeves.

Well, goodluck to your dogi search.

Hello Rod, thanks for your input, did you prefer one gi over the other and if so why? Also did the hidritex have much shrinkage?

Scott

ninjaqutie
08-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the link! I thought when it came time to get a gi I'd go with Tozando, but now I think I am going to get the competition gi from here instead. Reasonable prices and they look well made. Never heard of these guys before, so I really appreciate the info! :)

Scott Petty
08-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the link! I thought when it came time to get a gi I'd go with Tozando, but now I think I am going to get the competition gi from here instead. Reasonable prices and they look well made. Never heard of these guys before, so I really appreciate the info! :)

:) No problem. I'm amazed I haven't found them before considering all the time I spent looking for Aikido gear.

I'm not sure where they are based out of, I scoured their website but no luck. Sent them an email yesterday with a few questions...hoping they will hit me back soon.

chillzATL
08-25-2010, 07:13 AM
So the hidritex huh? Is it just the material that makes it good in the heat or is light weight too? I read the description and it mentions that is a double weave. I would have thought it was a single weave given the intention of the design.

Honestly had I not read in the description just now that it's a double weave, I wouldn't have noticed. That may be a misprint or something, it doesn't feel double weave at all to me.

The hidritex stuff is just a sweat wicking mesh liner that's sewn into the sleeve's, torso and part of the shoulders. The liner itself is super light-weight and does the opposite of adding to the bulk of the gi. I find that it actually makes the gi feel less soaked and cooler.

Rabih Shanshiry
08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Hello Scott, I just got the AikiJapan Competition dogi a week ago and I am very pleased with it. It's very comparable to my Tozando super soft IMO but without paying for the price.

Rod: is the AikiJapan Competition gi super soft like the Tozasndo Super Soft?

Cynrod
08-29-2010, 08:17 AM
@ Scott: I remember the hidritex did not have much shrinkage after washing it and dryng it in hot cycles. AikiJapan is located in Burnaby, BC in Canada. The Tozando super soft is still my favorite then the Minamoto Shokai competition gi from AikiJapan.

@ Rabih: The Tozando is still softer, thicker and heavier, being maybe on the 3.7lbs. The Minamoto Shokai gi is lighter at 3.3lbs and it has no backseams. It is soft enough and it feels just right. I am very happy with it.